Premed 101 Forums

Working 3rd year

peace2012

Work study is perfect for what youre looking for. I did it all three years of undergrad in a research lab. You don't earn enough in workstudy to warrant OSAP reassessment, its abt 1800 dollars (so really just pocket money) for the whole school year at min. wage. Works out to about 6-8 hours a week and is flexible arnd your academic schedule

Have anyone worked for 8-10 hours a week during the school year in a research position? Do you think it is manageable along with other volunteering + ECs? Does it also affect your OSAP?

Yes, I did exactly that last year. It didn't impact my grades or my other ECs at all. I still worked and volunteered as a group fitness instructor, volunteered with several organizations on campus, and maintained my grades (all above 90 with the exception of one course which was an 86 in a cross-listed graduate/undergraduate course).

No idea about OSAP. I don't qualify. :(

It's essential to plan a project that won't eat up all your time. For example, I'm planning on something that will take up about 7 hours a week. I can do it on Saturdays. And it's filled with plenty of incubation times, including a 3 hour one. So I think it will be just fine :)

Work study is perfect for what youre looking for. I did it all three years of undergrad in a research lab. You don't earn enough in workstudy to warrant OSAP reassessment, its abt 1800 dollars (so really just pocket money) for the whole school year at min. wage. Works out to about 6-8 hours a week and is flexible arnd your academic schedule

Hmmm, does working 10 hours a week affect your OSAP?

Make sure you discuss expectations with your supervisor. Will you be allowed to work less during mid-term week and then make up for those hours after mid-terms? Will you get time off to study for your exams? How flexible is your supervisor about when/where you can work during the week? With the right supervisor, 8-10 hours should be fine.

Archived