Premed 101 Forums

Radiology practice setting

Hi everyone

I have been looking for some information regarding radiology practice in Ontario but it's been a bit hard to come across. Do radiologists only work in hospitals or are there smaller labs etc that also hire them (where one can work part-time?)

Also, can you choose to be a diagnostic radiologist only, or is there an expectation from most groups that you will share the responsibility of interventional procedures (especially from younger grads?)

Thank you!

Hi everyone

I have been looking for some information regarding radiology practice in Ontario but it's been a bit hard to come across. Do radiologists only work in hospitals or are there smaller labs etc that also hire them (where one can work part-time?)

Also, can you choose to be a diagnostic radiologist only, or is there an expectation from most groups that you will share the responsibility of interventional procedures (especially from younger grads?)

Thank you!

there are a variety of work centres - hospitals yes, but also smaller clinics. Some radiologist even work from home. Most however do work in hospitals as that is where the bulk of imaging is generated.

Actually interventional radiology is a fellowship subdiscipline - you have to get additional training to do that. You cannot just do it without that. There are a variety of fellowships in radiology just like many other specialties. Now there are a bunch of hands on interventions that you can do without the fellowship - mostly image guided biopsies - and those may be spread around etc.

there are a variety of work centres - hospitals yes, but also smaller clinics. Some radiologist even work from home. Most however do work in hospitals as that is where the bulk of imaging is generated.

Actually interventional radiology is a fellowship subdiscipline - you have to get additional training to do that. You cannot just do it without that. There are a variety of fellowships in radiology just like many other specialties. Now there are a bunch of hands on interventions that you can do without the fellowship - mostly image guided biopsies - and those may be spread around etc.

Thank you rmorelan! That's good to know.

One other question I have about radiology is about renumeration. We have all heard that radiology is a field within medicine which is well compensated, but I'm wondering what the hours are like for those top billing radiologists. For instance, what is the income like for a radiologist who works just 9-5? I'm guessing that those who bill 600,700K are workaholics, but if you want a more regular schedule, will your income end up being close to lets say pathologists around 350K?

One other question I have about radiology is about renumeration. We have all heard that radiology is a field within medicine which is well compensated, but I'm wondering what the hours are like for those top billing radiologists. For instance, what is the income like for a radiologist who works just 9-5? I'm guessing that those who bill 600,700K are workaholics, but if you want a more regular schedule, will your income end up being close to lets say pathologists around 350K?

Well it is hard to say (ha - the usual answer) but really not many in medicine work this mythical 9-5 thing. The average number of hours per week reported in the last cma report was 50 hours a week for rads NOT including any call duties. Call is becoming more and more common in radiology in our 24 hour world. Part times would drag that average hours down and high work long people will drag it up etc. I am not expecting to ever NOT to have to be at work by 8am at the latest and probably 7 is more like it and get out earlier than 5 even on the best of days.

The average by the way for pathologists was 47 hours a week. Again excluding any call duties (as limited as those probably are :) ).

All of this also excludes keeping up your education etc which can be a load of course.

As things are heading - and they should head this way - in the end I think radiology will be roughly on part for the same amount of work as internal or path. Boosts due to technological updates will eventually fade I would think and hope. I actually wonder if the drop in people applying may already be effected by such changes (the job market is softening, and the US is clamping down)

I actually wonder if the drop in people applying may already be effected by such changes (the job market is softening, and the US is clamping down)

I think this year was a deviation of the standard, next year rads will be once again in the top 6-7 most competitive specialties.

As for reimbursement, I agree that they will follow US route and will be slashed again along with the cataract fee for ophthalmologists (>300$ for a 10 min procedure? really??)

I think this year was a deviation of the standard, next year rads will be once again in the top 6-7 most competitive specialties.

As for reimbursement, I agree that they will follow US route and will be slashed again along with the cataract fee for ophthalmologists (>300$ for a 10 min procedure? really??)

I am expecting it to swing upwards - any time any competitive field seems to dip people just seem to jump on to it the following year. Still I am not quite sure why it was so low this year still.

Anyway - not that I am complaining of course :) Just made it that much more likely that we got one of our top choices for residency.

• 3 weeks later...

idk if it's correct but there is a OMA report on 2012 negotiations where it shows the impact on fees across the specialties.

but on that report, it shows diagnostic imaging's average gross professional income (?) as $640 000

compare that to GP/FP at 294500, and IM at 335000

that is a LOT of money

idk if it's correct but there is a OMA report on 2012 negotiations where it shows the impact on fees across the specialties.

but on that report, it shows diagnostic imaging's average gross professional income (?) as $640 000

compare that to GP/FP at 294500, and IM at 335000

that is a LOT of money

sure, although again that is gross fees and some of that includes technical fees to run the equipment at some places. Obviously that can jack things up quite a bit.

Archived