Premed 101 Forums

Need some pointers answering the questionnaire

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about what NOSM is looking for in the questionnaire. I find the questions very open-ended and I'm guessing there are certain buzz-words they are looking for. For instance, how does one start by answering "Why are you applying to NOSM"? I've spent some time volunteering in Iqaluit and I have family that has worked there in the health care profession, but I'm wondering how I can approach answering these questions. Any help would be appreciated!

You need to sift through the NOSM website and literature to see what floats NOSM's boat and why it is in existence.

This is not rocket science, if you take an hour doing this you should get a better sense of this. If this application is important to you you will do more research than asking strangers on a forum as to what 'buzz words' you should use ... lol.

Beef

You need to sift through the NOSM website and literature to see what floats NOSM's boat and why it is in existence.

This is not rocket science, if you take an hour doing this you should get a better sense of this. If this application is important to you you will do more research than asking strangers on a forum as to what 'buzz words' you should use ... lol.

Beef

I was trying to gain insight on how to approach answering these questions. Thanks for your professional and non-sarcastic response.

Hi! I found this book at my local library in Thunder Bay called The Making of Northern Ontario School of Medicine (the book might be available somewhere near you). It explains how NOSM became what it is and outlines the admissions criteria and processes and reviews some of the ways the curriculum is delivered. Although the book is a few years old, I found it very insightful. You might want to browse through the book for more info.

Regarding the question of OMSAS: Speak from your heart (and brain) and show NOSM who you are. At least, that is my approach. Also, keep in mind that you are one in a thousand, or so, applicants. What will make YOU stand out from the rest?

On a side note. I don't appreciate how current students make sarcastic commentary about prospective applicants' ability to research. Imagine if your doctor told you you had a disease without answering some of your questions. Instead the doc simply said '' oh, go research it yourself, you'll find out''... or something along those lines. This leaves you feeling even more confused and without guidance. That is not how I want my patients to feel. If students want to go into the profession to help others, than why aren`t they lending a fair hand to potential colleagues... That really boggles my mind.

Anyways, you are strong for asking questions in the first place! One question may seem too stupid, but others may be wondering the exact thing, like me. Keep your chin up and best of luck to you, my curious forum pal.

On a side note. I don't appreciate how current students make sarcastic commentary about prospective applicants' ability to research. Imagine if your doctor told you you had a disease without answering some of your questions. Instead the doc simply said '' oh, go research it yourself, you'll find out''... or something along those lines. This leaves you feeling even more confused and without guidance. That is not how I want my patients to feel. If students want to go into the profession to help others, than why aren`t they lending a fair hand to potential colleagues... That really boggles my mind.

Beef has helped more people on this forum with their nosm app than I can count. I think he was reacting to the OP's desire to use "buzz words" (quoted from the OP's own post) rather than actually learn about the school and what kind of student nosm may be looking for. I essentially said the same thing: look into nosm's curriculum and social accountability mandate (ie. do some research). Those of us who are passionate about nosm take offense when it sounds like people are just trying to look good on paper without actually believing in what nosm stands for by using buzz words and circumventing the process of self reflection. I'm not speaking for beef, he can respond if he wants, but please don't take this process lightly. If you want to ask questions of us those who are already in the program do so but don't take it for granted that we're going to spoon feed you information when you're not willing to put the work in yourself.

To the OP, the overall message is that you need to learn more about nosm and what they are looking for in students and future practitioners and use the questions to tell nosm how you are a match for those characteristics. Why do you want to go to nosm? Talk about the program and how you will be a match. Why do you want to practice in the north? Talk about northern health issues and how you want to help. Life experiences that have led you to this point? Pick one or two and talk about how those experiences have made you realize that you can't imagine doing anything else with your time and energy.

I wish you good luck! We're a small and close knit community and we'd love to have anyone join us who will continue that tradition :)

Beef has helped more people on this forum with their nosm app than I can count. I think he was reacting to the OP's desire to use "buzz words" (quoted from the OP's own post) rather than actually learn about the school and what kind of student nosm may be looking for. I essentially said the same thing: look into nosm's curriculum and social accountability mandate (ie. do some research). Those of us who are passionate about nosm take offense when it sounds like people are just trying to look good on paper without actually believing in what nosm stands for by using buzz words and circumventing the process of self reflection. I'm not speaking for beef, he can respond if he wants, but please don't take this process lightly. If you want to ask questions of us those who are already in the program do so but don't take it for granted that we're going to spoon feed you information when you're not willing to put the work in yourself.

Your points are totally valid. And just to clear things up, Beef IS a major contributor on this forum and he has pointed folks in the right direction, including myself. I do stand by my previous statements regarding the sarcastic commentary, however. Anyways, the best of luck to the OP! :)

This.

... I think he was reacting to the OP's desire to use "buzz words" (quoted from the OP's own post) rather than actually learn about the school and what kind of student nosm may be looking for.

.... Those of us who are passionate about nosm take offense when it sounds like people are just trying to look good on paper without actually believing in what nosm stands for by using buzz words and circumventing the process of self reflection ....

.... don't take it for granted that we're going to spoon feed you information when you're not willing to put the work in yourself.

Good job Jojo :)

No offence intended here but I've never gotten that logic. Why not help out these people? it will only show through come the interview, which without some self directed research they will certainly flop. Thus the supposed cream rises to the top. Not to mention that the ability to find information about NOSM does not make one a better physician for the North.

In the end do whatever you feel is right and in the end you have to be self motivated to get anywhere in the application process.

No offence intended here but I've never gotten that logic. Why not help out these people? it will only show through come the interview, which without some self directed research they will certainly flop. Thus the supposed cream rises to the top. Not to mention that the ability to find information about NOSM does not make one a better physician for the North.

In the end do whatever you feel is right and in the end you have to be self motivated to get anywhere in the application process.

With regards to the interview filtering people out. Yes it may filter some people out but thats still an interview spot. It's a sad reality that someone who does a terrible job at 10 groups looks better than someone who does 1 or 2 and really cares about them.I know several people who don't look good on paper but would certainly make better physicians than myself. Honestly with the exception of papers published and other nontrad applications, most of the stuff that people put on their sketch is stuff they did specifically to get into med school. I would have lived a far more relaxed undergrad if I didn't feel pressured when compared to other applicants.

No offence intended here but I've never gotten that logic. Why not help out these people? it will only show through come the interview, which without some self directed research they will certainly flop. Thus the supposed cream rises to the top.

I think we did help the OP out. We directed him/her towards the appropriate information, gave them some ideas as to what to include in the different parts of the sketch. Not only will that help with the essays but also with the interview if/when the OP gets one. I'm not going to write the essay myself (not that you suggested it but I'm not sure how much more help we can give short of actually writing out a few paragraphs). And yes while hopefully people get weeded out during an interview it still takes the place away from another applicant (as mentioned above).

Not to mention that the ability to find information about NOSM does not make one a better physician for the North.

NOSM's curriculum is self-directed, independent learning. You have to be able to find the information you need to enhance/complete your learning. Yes it is a bit of a stretch to say that the ability to find that information in the application stage of things will make you a better student but the attitudes associated with it like motivation and independence may flow into your attitudes as a student.

Absolutely agree :)

I didn't realize that this topic would become such a point of contention. I think the OP received lots of help; suggestions for areas of reflection and where to get the information, and a general direction of where to direct the questions. I'm not sure how much more help someone needs.

Archived