Premed 101 Forums

What if you don't apply to CaRMS?

ER scrub

You'll probably get a lot of advice against doing that, but ultimately they won't really care if you choose not to enter the match (i.e. choose to leave medicine, since that's what it amounts to).

Got it. Yes, I expect a lot of pressure but I had a prior career and I am leaning towards returning to it. It is still related to medicine though.

I'm not too sure how much they will care if I don't apply but I can't technically be called "unmatched" so it shouldn't hurt their numbers which I know they care a great deal about

thanks

• 1 month later...
if you don't want to be in medicine, why wait until graduation to quit? that's 4 years time/energy/money waste on your side, and funding waste on the government side, a lose-lose situation.

well those with medical degrees but are not clinical are still extremely valuable. Clinical research for one things springs to mind - I have meet a number of MDs without residency who run large successful labs.

Obviously in the business world they are extremely valuable as well.

I guess my point is that MDs don't have to go into residency and do clinical work to be useful and successful. That better be true because now in the US for instance upwards of 10% of all graduates are simply not going to get a residency position.

I know someone from med school who did not apply to any match and is no longer in medicine. I don't think the school really did anything in response. So sure, you can do it.

Whether it is wise to do so would entirely depend on the individual circumstances.

The school couldn't do anything anyway even if they wanted to. The MATCH is outside of the entire school's evaluation system - so is the licensing exam as well I suppose.

It would be logical and appropriate for them to contact you and make sure you a) were sure what you were doing and B) actually help you in anyway they could in doing it. Obviously it is a big decision.

• 2 weeks later...
if you don't want to be in medicine, why wait until graduation to quit? that's 4 years time/energy/money waste on your side, and funding waste on the government side, a lose-lose situation.

Because an MD is one of the most valuable degrees you can have, no matter what you decide to to, and it would be extremely foolish to just give that up?

Archived