Premed 101 Forums

Some Questions about the MCAT

KarlssonGlitch

I'm going into my second year of BioMed at uOttawa (3.88 OSMAS GPA) and was wondering when I should take the MCAT for the first time. Should I have already taken it? Should I wait a year? Also what is the very best prep book available in the world? Cost is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Also is my GPA good enough for most Canadian Medical schools?

Depending on whether or not you have taken the pre-reqs, I would suggest taking it next summer.

Regarding your GPA, it's hard to really say where you stand at this time, it relies heavily on your next 2 years' GPA as well as the MCAT - but you are going to be fine with that GPA

P.S. I would suggest doing a bit of research yourself before asking it here, cause it makes it really hard to explain everything. The best way to do this is to check out each med's school website first, and look at their admission requirements.

Good luck

It is, but your current GPA isn't indicative of anything right now. The first year is easier because it's mostly a review of high school. Having the consistency to maintain it is the difficult part.

I would have to disagree. Your first year GPA tells you alot about the individual and it's always a indicator of how you will perform the next few years. Most people end up going higher (with the exception of a few people) because they learn what to do/not to do during their first years. In addition with more flexibility on course selection & resources it's likely you'll perform better in upper year courses whereas 1st year you don't know much other than go home and studying really hard.

Anyways, to the OP just keep maintaining your GPA. And in addition, do ALOT of EC's. Most of the people I know with 3.9+ GPA's in their 4th years don't get accepted, despite having a 37-41 MCAT score (I know several ppl like this), simply because they lack EC's. If you don't have good EC's, you won't make it past the interview stage OR even get an interview. I hope this helps :)

I would have to disagree. Your first year GPA tells you alot about the individual and it's always a indicator of how you will perform the next few years. Most people end up going higher (with the exception of a few people) because they learn what to do/not to do during their first years. In addition with more flexibility on course selection & resources it's likely you'll perform better in upper year courses whereas 1st year you don't know much other than go home and studying really hard.

Anyways, to the OP just keep maintaining your GPA. And in addition, do ALOT of EC's. Most of the people I know with 3.9+ GPA's in their 4th years don't get accepted, despite having a 37-41 MCAT score (I know several ppl like this), simply because they lack EC's. If you don't have good EC's, you won't make it past the interview stage OR even get an interview. I hope this helps :)

Just to add to this...

Doing ECs is a very good idea, as long as it doesn't interfere with your GPA. The applicant with a 3.9+ GPA and 37+ MCAT might not get in initially, but he/she can beef up their ECs in subsequent application cycles. If someone has a lower GPA because they had too much on their plate, the problem is much harder to fix.

Just to add to this...

Doing ECs is a very good idea, as long as it doesn't interfere with your GPA. The applicant with a 3.9+ GPA and 37+ MCAT might not get in initially, but he/she can beef up their ECs in subsequent application cycles. If someone has a lower GPA because they had too much on their plate, the problem is much harder to fix.

True but doing EC's last minute/ a year before your application doesn't cut it from what I've noticed. The adcoms look at your applications quite seriously, for Example Ottawa actually looks at your EC's listed to see if you make the cut of an interview & UofT will be VERY thorough in reviewing each application. If they noticed you did nothing before your 3rd year but have a 4.0 GPA, tough luck. It's impossible to get into UofT med or Ottawa without STELLAR EC's and heavy community work, I'm not talking about research +hospital since this isn't the 1990's or 2000's. We are living in 2013 and the competition is rigerous now, you need to do more diverse things and still maintain a good GPA. That's just my 2 cents from what I noticed.

Archived