Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine - the road there

JP2118

Hi all, I'm in my second year MD, and I'm interested in getting into Internal Medicine in Toronto, Vancouver, or another school in southwestern Ontario. I am currently the president of 2 clubs at my med school, and I have a MSc in respiratory research (bench-based) with 1 publication where I'm not first author and various abstracts and research awards. What are my chances, and what do I need to clinch the position?

Thanks guys!

It's not very hard to match to IM, though you should think about what you're looking for in a program. Generally speaking, do well on your core IM (and all other) rotations, get letters from them, and then do the lion's share of your electives in IM at a variety of schools, including those you might wish to match to.

It's generally very hard to match to Toronto let alone get an interview there, so be prepared not to. Mac, Western, and Queen's are all good places to do electives, with Mac probably being the most competitive program overall (and one of the most competitive in the country).

It seems that way, along with picking super-academic/research types from elsewhere. I applied to two specialties (well, three counting my home school family programs), interviewed for one at Toronto (not IM), and both at Mac.

I might give Mac the edge in the strength of the program overall, though I'm sure that I get more independence and procedural experience at my current program than either of them.

So what you're saying is that it's quite hard to get a residency position in Southern Ontario? How should I even go about doing my electives? Still try for the school(s) I'm mainly interested in, regardless of my chances of getting there? In short, I need to try and get into a school that is either in a big city, or reasonably adjacent to one (for family reasons).

It varies by the year. Some years there are tons of empty spots, some years top-tier applicants are clawing to get anything they can in the first round.

Apply everywhere with the intention that you MIGHT go there unless there's an overwhelming reason not to. Interview everywhere you can and see what you think in person. Don't discount SK, MB, NL, etc. Smaller programs may mean that you do more work or are more self-directed, but sometimes have opportunities you wouldn't get at larger centers.

At the end of the day the main determinant of the quality of your residency is you. All programs give you the opportunity to Show Up and Do Your Job, which in addition to your own reading is 90% of what will make you into a solid doctor.

Hi all, I'm in my second year MD, and I'm interested in getting into Internal Medicine in Toronto, Vancouver, or another school in southwestern Ontario. I am currently the president of 2 clubs at my med school, and I have a MSc in respiratory research (bench-based) with 1 publication where I'm not first author and various abstracts and research awards. What are my chances, and what do I need to clinch the position?

Thanks guys!

IM varies year to year. The past couple years its been tough at the centres you mentioned as well as in Ontario. There is a lot more interest in generalist specialities because of the job situation in Canada.

If you're interested in IM, do the same thing as you do for any other specialties. do electives at place you're interested, shine and get LoRs. Just saw that you're at U of A. You should try to do at least a couple electives in Ontario + UBC. Many IM programs do like their own as far as I've seen (Toronto, Mac, Western)

Your research unfortunately doesn't mean much. If you want to start a project during med school with someone influential in IM (can be in any of the subspecialties as long as they have some influence), it can be something that helps you land at the most competitive centres like Toronto, UBC

Archived