Premed 101 Forums

So I suck at Physics

skinful

I've started to prepare for the Jan/Feb MCAT and decided to start with my weakest subject, Physics, to get it out of the way.

Bad move. AWFUL move. Physics and I have just never clicked. We're like Bieber and Drake. Yes, that bad.

So, studying Physics off of EK is out of the question (Bio/Chem/Verbal should be fine as I'm comfortable with those)... Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is terribly hopeless at Physics but is very willing to put in the effort to do well in it for the MCAT? TT_TT

I've started to prepare for the Jan/Feb MCAT and decided to start with my weakest subject, Physics, to get it out of the way.

Bad move. AWFUL move. Physics and I have just never clicked. We're like Bieber and Drake. Yes, that bad.

So, studying Physics off of EK is out of the question (Bio/Chem/Verbal should be fine as I'm comfortable with those)... Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is terribly hopeless at Physics but is very willing to put in the effort to do well in it for the MCAT? TT_TT

The good news is that you've got a lot of time. How did you do in your undergrad Physics course?

I took Physics pass/fail as a summer course after first year (which was ages ago). So, I never really got a grade, just a [P]. I got at least 65% I guess, but honestly I also didn't try that hard BECAUSE it was only P/F + a summer course.

But yeah, I'm glad I started early as I have plenty of time to catch up! Any suggestions?

You have to be a Belieber and start from the bottom, in a few months you will be there.

If you got some funds, look into TBR review for Physical Sciences for G Chem + Physics. Khan Academy and Chad's videos will help too.

I think the best way to learn physics is hard way - from BR or the textbook. I looked at EK for the topics and studied straight out of a reputable physics text. In the end there wasn't a single physics problem that I couldn't do on the MCAT. It takes a lot of work but provides a level of understanding and insight that the prep books I own (EK and TPR) simply do not provide. Remember that learning physics is mostly working out the problems in the text, and learning from your mistakes.

This approach isn't for everyone, particularly if you're short on time. Alternatively you can read something brief like TPR and start doing a ton of practice passages. The EK physics book is insufficient to learn physics on its own.

I think the best way to learn physics is hard way - from BR or the textbook. I looked at EK for the topics and studied straight out of a reputable physics text. In the end there wasn't a single physics problem that I couldn't do on the MCAT. It takes a lot of work but provides a level of understanding and insight that the prep books I own (EK and TPR) simply do not provide. Remember that learning physics is mostly working out the problems in the text, and learning from your mistakes.

This approach isn't for everyone, particularly if you're short on time. Alternatively you can read something brief like TPR and start doing a ton of practice passages. The EK physics book is insufficient to learn physics on its own.

I actually did not take a physics course in university, only high school. I used only EK and mastered MCAT physics. So it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I had zero physics background. Not even highschool. I started with a textbook called College Physics and took the Princeton Review physics course. It took some work but eventually I was consistently getting 11-12s on aamc prac tests.

I had zero physics background. Not even highschool. I started with a textbook called College Physics and took the Princeton Review physics course. It took some work but eventually I was consistently getting 11-12s on aamc prac tests.

So would it be safe to assume that one university physics course (plus high school physics background) along with a prep course should be adequate for the material?

So would it be safe to assume that one university physics course (plus high school physics background) along with a prep course should be adequate for the material?

Your background combined with the prep course will definitely give you a strong enough physics background to tackle mcat PS.

Your background combined with the prep course will definitely give you a strong enough physics background to tackle mcat PS.

So are you saying it would be sufficient enough to have high school physics alone plus the mcat prep course? If I don't have to take physics yet I won't, I'd rather do my mcat earlier. Doing physics before it would require a month in sprig semester.

So are you saying it would be sufficient enough to have high school physics alone plus the mcat prep course? If I don't have to take physics yet I won't, I'd rather do my mcat earlier. Doing physics before it would require a month in sprig semester.

Yes, I think you will be okay if you work hard with the prep course.

• 2 weeks later...

Physics is my weak point as well. I've never even taken it in high school, let alone uni!

What I did was buy the EK 1000 Questions in Physics, then hire a tutor who I saw for 4 hours a week. I answered all of the questions I could do on my own, and then everything else I didn't understand (a huge chunk of it) I would bring to my tutor and we would work through it. It was kind of expensive and time-consuming, but no more than a uni physics course would have been and this was better because it was specialized to MCAT content. Helped me a LOT!!

Archived