Premed 101 Forums

Fewer people invited to interview?

I noticed somewhere that someone said they are inviting fewer people to interview.. Is that likely the reason for the GPA jump? And does it follow that

whatever your GPA, if you are invited to interview, you now have a better chance of being admitted?

i believe this started last cycle. They used to interview close to 400 applicants but after some self reflection they found that no one in that bottom 1/4 of the interviewees had ever gotten in. They no strive for 300 interview invites. I guess your chances are better, but at the same time not really as the bottom 100 people have never gotten in anyways so your odds in the truest sense are the same.

I also don't think that fewer interviewees in itself affected GPA for the same reasons as mentioned above. Inviting fewer people didn't change who was ultimately selected and therefore the GPA shouldn't change because of fewer interview invites. It'll be interesting to see if the GPA holds high for this year or if it was just a blip on the radar.

I also don't think that fewer interviewees in itself affected GPA for the same reasons as mentioned above. Inviting fewer people didn't change who was ultimately selected and therefore the GPA shouldn't change because of fewer interview invites. It'll be interesting to see if the GPA holds high for this year or if it was just a blip on the radar.

It's funny as the AFMC reported that the average accepted GPA at NOSM this past cycle was 3.60. They get they're information straight from the schools. I just found this interesting.

It says the 3.6 was for 2012/2013, whereas the stats for the other schools says 2013/2014. Maybe that is old data from last year? But yes there do seem to be discrepancies. If it really matters to you (some people like to geek out on stats) I think the 3.8* is accurate. There are a lot of 4.0 or 3.8something + masters in my class!

It says the 3.6 was for 2012/2013, whereas the stats for the other schools says 2013/2014. Maybe that is old data from last year? But yes there do seem to be discrepancies. If it really matters to you (some people like to geek out on stats) I think the 3.8* is accurate. There are a lot of 4.0 or 3.8something + masters in my class!

The reason it says 2013/2014 is it is the requirements for this application cycle. That being said the stats are from last years cycle.

secondly they get their data straight from every school hence me wondering why there is a discrepancy, not the fact that I'm worried about my own application.

ps. I hope to be one of those people in next years class! NOSM is my first choice of everywhere I applied. I'm ready to head back home! (albeit Sudbury is still a fair bit south as compared to home haha)

• 1 month later...

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that NOSM gives GPA boosts if you've completed your masters or PhD's, but potentially that study doesn't take that into account? They could be posting people's GPA from their undergrad and not considering the GPA boosts -- or it is simply a mistake on the website. I don't doubt that my class had a high entering GPA, from what I've heard from people, the GPA that NOSM posted seems accurate :)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that NOSM gives GPA boosts if you've completed your masters or PhD's, but potentially that study doesn't take that into account? They could be posting people's GPA from their undergrad and not considering the GPA boosts -- or it is simply a mistake on the website. I don't doubt that my class had a high entering GPA, from what I've heard from people, the GPA that NOSM posted seems accurate :)

It's the fact that they get their stats directly from the schools (NOSM). Why would the reported grades differ. The GPA boost shouldn't have made up the difference as only 7 masters degrees this past cycle and the year before there was 13. And the year before had a much lower average accepted GPA.

From what I got from the report they only mentioned entering class of 2013 when they were talking about the number of interview spots. When they mentioned the mean GPA of successful applicants they said for 2012-2013 (which is confusing but would be the 2012 entering class) you can tell that it would be the previous year because when they mention the number of available spots in the 2014 entering class they say "the number of year one positions available for 2014-2015 is 64.."

That confused me too but when you read western's stats it says "for the entering class of 2013/2014". So I think the 2012/2013 and 3.6* stated was also meant for the entering class of 2012/2013, not the application cycle.

I would take what is written on the website published by NOSM over a third party document.

Also it doesn't really matter. Class to class it's going to be different and who knows what this year is going to bring. Shoot for the highest GPA you can, get some solid ECs, kill the interview and let the universe take over.

Archived