Premed 101 Forums

Average accepted GPA for the 2012/2013 cycle

Average GPA (as per our presentation this year) was 3.91 for all 166 in the class

This does not take into account some special sub sections of students (don't get me wrong, all of the students deserve to be in our class)

Aboriginal cut off was 3.5, and I think there were a couple french cut offs at the high 3.7 ranges.

If you look strictly at the regular applicants in the anglophone stream you would likely get an average GPA of 3.94-3.96

Also there were 3805 applicants this year. The figure in the pdf you posted was in the 3260 range.......

I find that whole PDF funny as all their stats seem to be off slightly but they get their info straight from the med schools.

Regardless it seems to be the most competitive school GPA wise in Ontario.

Guest LeCreuset
I find that whole PDF funny as all their stats seem to be off slightly but they get their info straight from the med schools.

Regardless it seems to be the most competitive school GPA wise in Ontario.

Uoft median is 3.92 including grad students, probably 3.93 or 3.94 without. Whether lowest 3.0 removed or the year multiplier is best for students is a different question.

Uoft median is 3.92 including grad students, probably 3.93 or 3.94 without. Whether lowest 3.0 removed or the year multiplier is best for students is a different question.

which makes determining competitiveness a bit harder. Western on paper is one of the least with fewer applicants as well - but that is likely because the VR 11 for multiple years is just self selecting people out of applying (which I think is part of the point). Not straight forward :)

Guest LeCreuset
which makes determining competitiveness a bit harder. Western on paper is one of the least with fewer applicants as well - but that is likely because the VR 11 for multiple years is just self selecting people out of applying (which I think is part of the point). Not straight forward :)

I never understood that about western, if they don't publish cutoffs they can get another 1000 applicants, that's ~100k in application fees!

I never understood that about western, if they don't publish cutoffs they can get another 1000 applicants, that's ~100k in application fees!

Western doesn't get the full amount for that to start with :) OMSAS is paid of course to process those.

and they don't want to shift through a 1000 more applicants likely - probably that is beyond the tipping point where they have to higher at least one more staff person to manage things and the cost of a staff is probably 50K+ a year with you factor in everything required (salary is just the start).

Guest LeCreuset
Western doesn't get the full amount for that to start with :) OMSAS is paid of course to process those.

and they don't want to shift through a 1000 more applicants likely - probably that is beyond the tipping point where they have to higher at least one more staff person to manage things and the cost of a staff is probably 50K+ a year with you factor in everything required (salary is just the start).

I assume the 1000 will have a VR less than 11 which an excel spreadsheet would eliminate rather efficiently :D.

I assume the 1000 will have a VR less than 11 which an excel spreadsheet would eliminate rather efficiently :D.

true! - assuming they are not SWOMEN but a lot are.

It is possible they could make more money under a system revision, but on some level I just like to think that really isn't the major focus. They run the office but aren't looking to make some "big score" :)

Archived