Premed 101 Forums

to those who know the internal workings of ADCOMS

guys, i have a question about "programs" in carms.

lets use univ of toronto family medicine as an example.

within it there are three streams. does each stream count as a "program"?

i guess what i'm asking is - I submit only one application for u of t...but does it then go to each of the streams for them to judge me?

I'm worried that if my application is rejected through first pass, then the stream i really want - downtown - will not even know I exist, and that I am willing to go there! :(

i hope my question is clear. - it is in my head! haha.

guys, i have a question about "programs" in carms.

lets use univ of toronto family medicine as an example.

within it there are three streams. does each stream count as a "program"?

i guess what i'm asking is - I submit only one application for u of t...but does it then go to each of the streams for them to judge me?

I'm worried that if my application is rejected through first pass, then the stream i really want - downtown - will not even know I exist, and that I am willing to go there! :(

i hope my question is clear. - it is in my head! haha.

That's a very specific question. How the internal workings of this occur would vary program to program IMO. CaRMS has few rules in how things occur at the internal level and as far as I'm aware there is no real attempt at standardization.

That's a very specific question. How the internal workings of this occur would vary program to program IMO. CaRMS has few rules in how things occur at the internal level and as far as I'm aware there is no real attempt at standardization.

thanks rogerroger.

guys: i'm applying to 13 programs/sites/streams...but the interview process is "central" meaning at the most, i'll get only two interviews.

do y'all think that's wise? would you suggest applying more broadly? like to more schools across the province and the country?

is family medicine THAT competitive that I should apply everywhere?

thanks rogerroger.

guys: i'm applying to 13 programs/sites/streams...but the interview process is "central" meaning at the most, i'll get only two interviews.

do y'all think that's wise? would you suggest applying more broadly? like to more schools across the province and the country?

is family medicine THAT competitive that I should apply everywhere?

Family is really not that competitive. If you apply you get an interview... Without an ounce of exaggeration, they must literally grant every applicant an interview. Then after interviewing you probably get in unless you did something exceptionally silly.

Regarding the different sites, I imagine they rank applicants pretty broadly. I wouldn't be shy making it known during an interview which place is your preference. They could even indirectly ask you during the interview. Remember, CaRMS favors the applicant. Your ranking gets priority over the programs. Don't rank places you wouldn't want to go.

I bet you will be fine. You have a very good chance you will end up in one of your top choices if you are a standard applicant. Family med match is one of the most chill of all the CaRMS matches... :)

Family is really not that competitive. If you apply you get an interview... Without an ounce of exaggeration, they must literally grant every applicant an interview. Then after interviewing you probably get in unless you did something exceptionally silly.

Regarding the different sites, I imagine they rank applicants pretty broadly. I wouldn't be shy making it known during an interview which place is your preference. They could even indirectly ask you during the interview. Remember, CaRMS favors the applicant. Your ranking gets priority over the programs. Don't rank places you wouldn't want to go.

I bet you will be fine. You have a very good chance you will end up in one of your top choices if you are a standard applicant. Family med match is one of the most chill of all the CaRMS matches... :)

okay, phew! thanks!! :)

Archived