Premed 101 Forums

Really weird u of c med policy

I'm a second year master's student who's counting a lot on using my masters gpa after i graduate in the gpa calc at uc med. I only just realized that there are only 3 convocation dates at u of c: May, June, and November. Given u of c's policy of needing the physical degree in hand by oct 15, that means i need to have written my thesis, defended, applied for graduation, and actually convocated by June (well within the 24 month span for a usual thesis based masters).

What makes me curious is how many people are going to finish everything by august/sept and are planning to convocate in nov? Does this mean all these people are missed the boat to use their grad GPA by 3-4 weeks? For some reason this seems a little harsh considering university paperwork and technicalities limit someone from graduating until months after they are done.

Thoughts on this policy everyone? Oversight or intentional on UC's part?

I don't find this weird. It's kind of impossible to meet everyone's demands in every application, let alone med school apps. It's unfair for everybody (UofC and the applicants) if we had to push the deadlines until past November just to accommodate Master's degree holders.

Utilitarian as it is, majority of the applicants finish most of the requirements way before the October deadline.

Fair point, but under the current timeline it seems MSc candidates then have no choice but to either finish their masters by June before 24 months or finish later and have to wait another year to apply with a completed grad degree.

I just thought that was odd or perhaps I'm just raising awareness on nothing...

Archived