Premed 101 Forums

How many publications is enough?

JohnDakota

At present, I have 4 pubs in the tank. They're out there - published.

I have another 3 that are sitting on my PhD supervisors desk - 1 is going to be submitted this week, the second within a month and the third ... well who knows.

I have around a dozen conference presentations - 3 of which have won best oral/poster presentation.

Anyway - given that there's a finite space to list your achievements on med school applications, and you want to give the impression of a rounded individual on your application (ie. you dont want to fill the whole app with pubs), how many would you think is sufficient?

Basically... I"m at the point with my former supervisor that these publications are in an endless cycle of revision.. I have a job I'm working at now that needs my attention, but he's demanding more and more time. I'm considering deep-six'ing the pubs I have left on the table so I can focus on my MCAT and my current job.

Any input would be much appreciated.

list and talk about all of the ones that have been accepted by the time of your application. Its always good to showcase your strengths. Yes try to be a well rounded applicant overall but if research has been a major part of your life and you've got a lot to show for it, why not let the adcoms know that. Plus, you're already miles ahead of most med students in that department and research plays a pretty integral role in our careers (whether you conduct research or rely on it for your practice)

At present, I have 4 pubs in the tank. They're out there - published.

I have another 3 that are sitting on my PhD supervisors desk - 1 is going to be submitted this week, the second within a month and the third ... well who knows.

I have around a dozen conference presentations - 3 of which have won best oral/poster presentation.

Anyway - given that there's a finite space to list your achievements on med school applications, and you want to give the impression of a rounded individual on your application (ie. you dont want to fill the whole app with pubs), how many would you think is sufficient?

Basically... I"m at the point with my former supervisor that these publications are in an endless cycle of revision.. I have a job I'm working at now that needs my attention, but he's demanding more and more time. I'm considering deep-six'ing the pubs I have left on the table so I can focus on my MCAT and my current job.

Any input would be much appreciated.

My gut tells me you are okay on the research front.

The adequacy of your publication record depends on the field (ie clinical vs basic research) with the implicit (though not explicit) understanding that basic publications are harder than clinical publications.

Also, when weighing what to do, being well rounded is definitely important. But it has been my experience that med schools weigh researcher >> other extracurrics

Thanks for the input.

All my pubs are primary research - I've worked mostly in the field of plant biochemical pathways - specializing in the synthesis of naturally derived pharmaceuticals (eg. morphine, taxol etc.). So lots of biochem and molec.

I really do enjoy research, but two things are killing it for me; 1. Lack of a sense of connection with community, and that what I do on a day-to-day basis matters. 2. Reasonable expectation of job advancement - the realities in basic research is that the field is super saturated with highly qualified people, so the probability of landing a job that will make you happy, let alone in a geography that you would like to work (ie reasonably close to family) is basically non-existent.

I'll just keep working on these pubs. They're almost there I suppose.

Archived