Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters - For IMG, better to get so-so Canadian referee or a Good int'l ref

Hi, just a quick question seeing so many people are so knowledgeable...

1) Is it better to get a Canadian so-so (has good things mentioned, but short letter) letter or to get a non-Canadian doctors letter who writes a longer letter and more good things to mention about you?

2) Are Masters or PhD referees acceptable for a lot of these family med programs?

3) If they ask for 3 references but I submit 4, I know they read the first 3. Do you guys know if its first 3 that the letters were uploaded/scanned or first 3 that you assign when you click each individually?

Many thanks!

1) There is likely no definitive answer. Programs prefer to read letters from people they know, but you also want to send in the best letter possible.

Almost all reference letters are positive (as in a 'bad letter' is usually vague and average as opposed to saying this student is bad), so if you are worried I wouldn't use it. A lack of good things is a red flag in reference letter.

2) Probably, but I wouldn't use more than one letter. As in, if you did a PhD or a masters and developed a relationship with someone that they can write about your qualities that would be acceptable. Although in general, they want to hear about your clinical skills. I suspect it's less acceptable for non-family medicine programs (unless it was related to the field...)

3) If they ask for 3, submit 3.

Don't give them an excuse to eliminate your application for not paying attention to details...

1)

2) Probably, but I wouldn't use more than one letter. As in, if you did a PhD or a masters and developed a relationship with someone that they can write about your qualities that would be acceptable. Although in general, they want to hear about your clinical skills. I suspect it's less acceptable for non-family medicine programs (unless it was related to the field...)

Read the requirements in Carms program descriptions.

Most programs require your letters to be written by physicians.

Great advice Boy! You've pretty much confirmed what most of the program secretaries have told me in regard to the research letters.

1) There is likely no definitive answer. Programs prefer to read letters from people they know, but you also want to send in the best letter possible.

Almost all reference letters are positive (as in a 'bad letter' is usually vague and average as opposed to saying this student is bad), so if you are worried I wouldn't use it. A lack of good things is a red flag in reference letter.

3) If they ask for 3, submit 3.

Don't give them an excuse to eliminate your application for not paying attention to details...

Hi, just a quick question seeing so many people are so knowledgeable...

1) Is it better to get a Canadian so-so (has good things mentioned, but short letter) letter or to get a non-Canadian doctors letter who writes a longer letter and more good things to mention about you?

2) Are Masters or PhD referees acceptable for a lot of these family med programs?

3) If they ask for 3 references but I submit 4, I know they read the first 3. Do you guys know if its first 3 that the letters were uploaded/scanned or first 3 that you assign when you click each individually?

Many thanks!

If you know the letter is short and "so-so" does that mean you have read the letter? Unfortunately you have to swear that you have not seen any of your letters so you would not be able to use that letter anyways (unless you want to be dishonest).

I would still go with the Canadian letter - if you had an elective in Canada and you didn't submit a letter I think that would be a HUGE red flag. That is the whole point of doing Cdn electives - to see if you are up to par with the CMGs.

Include the Canadian letter. If you did an elective in canada but dont have a letter in your file that's a bigger red flag than a Canadian letter with a mediocre review. Either way it's probably not the best situation but it's the better of two in my opinion. Obviously include stellar letters from other docs outside of Canada and that would help.

Archived