Premed 101 Forums

Splitting electives in 2 specialties

MansionMD

I don't know how feasible this is, depending on what the specialties are involved. It all depends on how closely related those two specialties are.

Let's say emerg and anesthesia 50:50... I know they're both competitive, but I bet you could spin that pretty well.

That only works if one specialty is competitive and the other is not (surg/family or derm/psych or whatever). It won't work for rads/gas or derm/plastics etc.

If location is the most important thing, have an easy backup into that location (maybe do one elective there to show face).

I agree. If location is the most important, pick stuff like psych, family etc. as a back up. Even better is if you pick them as a first choice.

When it comes to competitive specialties I'm of the school of thought that you should NEVER split.

You gotta commit to a specialty. You can do a few "adjuvant" electives in something related to your main interest. But splitting equally will just make you look like you are not committed. When your file is reviewed all those applicants who committed to only emerg or anesthesia will probably get interviews before you. Those who commit appear "safer" to file reviewers than someone who has not decided on one specialty. People may say otherwise, but I can say with confidence that there is a lot of rubbish out there on this topic.

If you split then the only thing you are increasing is the probability of matching into neither of your choices.

Archived