Premed 101 Forums

western vs queens gen surg

Don't know much/haven't heard much other than what's available online about these two schools' residencies. Collegiality, work/life, quality of training etc

Can anyone comment? Any opinions, rumors, conjecture welcome :)

Western:High volume. Good training but work life balance is widely believed to be the worst in Canada. That's true of most Western surgical programs. I know some of their programs expect residents to round on the weekend mornings, even if they aren't on call etc.

One of the older guys I know said in the 1980's in his specialty you had to be within 20 minutes of the hospital at all times. Staff would randomly call you (even if you weren't on call) and you were expected to show up within 20 minutes or there was hell to pay. Even days like Xmas were not an excuse.

That person hated their residency...

I trained at western for medicine and am at western for residency but judging from my colleagues I think many of these stereotypes are not true. It is one of the best for training and it is hardcore but I can't say that the rumours are infact true. Best to do an elective there or contact a resident with these questions.

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about the reputation of Western, does this only apply to surgical residencies? How about others (e.g. internal, rads, etc)?

My friends doing residency at Western do comment that their surgical and anaesthesia programs are more hardcore, partly due to their "extended OR" hours, meaning that they work usually an extra 2 hours more each day. Internal med seems to be pretty great at Western, with good hours (for IM) and collegiality.

My friends doing residency at Western do comment that their surgical and anaesthesia programs are more hardcore, partly due to their "extended OR" hours, meaning that they work usually an extra 2 hours more each day. Internal med seems to be pretty great at Western, with good hours (for IM) and collegiality.

Thanks for the reply. Would appreciate any other thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...
Western:High volume. Good training but work life balance is widely believed to be the worst in Canada. That's true of most Western surgical programs. I know some of their programs expect residents to round on the weekend mornings, even if they aren't on call etc.

that's true. senior gen surg residents do round in the morning on weekends if no resident on their team is on-call for that weekend

Archived