Premed 101 Forums

what can I do to get into ottawa med school?

SHD

Hi,

I strongly need your advice.

I am in my fifth year my GPA is little bit lower than ottawa's cut off.

Do you suggest that I extend my undergrad 2 more years and improve my GPA?

LET ME KNOW.

how little bit is it? I mean in theory with your final year counting as 50% of the GPA score it can go a long way etc.

My GPA is 3.76 till now.

hmmm ok, so perhaps you would need to years - that barrier is annoyingly high of course. You think you need to remove 2 years to obtain the GPA you need?

Just to expand things any particular reason you are looking at just that school? Usually the forum is best at presenting you with a variety of options etc.

The other problem is my verbal score is not good. I do not think I can improve it anymore and I am yearning for med school.

Do you have any suggestion for my situation?

ahh the dreaded verbal - an annoying barrier. Well I was just trying to see if would fit in under the usual Western/Queens routes as you hit the GPA cut offs for them, and of course see if the UoT wGPA policy applies and if so what is your true GPA for that school.

I know it can be hard to go over but how low of VR are we talking about, and why do you think it is so low? You are mapping out a route that will take you 2 years and costs 10s of thousands of dollars. All for one school. It raises the question of whether similar or less effort/expense will get you the MCAT score you need and grant you access to a greater pool of schools etc.

If you are OOP and know french, apply to the french stream. All of the MD candidates in that stream are extremely talented, but strictly speaking the GPA cut off is lower. Don't know french? You can pick it up pretty quick (4-5 months) if you really work at it.... it has been done. :)

ha - yes it has :)

Ok so as moderator could you please answer this question for me....everybody keeps telling me different things.

Does uOttawa look at the wGPA after you make the wGPA cutoffs? For example, if I have a 3.96 wGPA, would I be considered at a slight advantage to somebody with a 3.90 wGPA..even though we both make the cutoff? Clearly the ABS still plays a big role, but I'm wondering if maybe uOttawa uses some form of a weighted formula of wGPA+ABS to determine who gets an interview.

thanks

In the strictest definition of cut-off it shouldn't matter ALTHOUGH it is the PM101 consensus that UofO does prefer people with higher wGPA's. (Take a look through last years invited/regrets thread) essentially they are much more forgiving on the EC front if you have a high wGPA.

Yeah, this is how we think they use wGPA. Granted, we'll never know for sure.

Ok so as moderator could you please answer this question for me....everybody keeps telling me different things.

Does uOttawa look at the wGPA after you make the wGPA cutoffs? For example, if I have a 3.96 wGPA, would I be considered at a slight advantage to somebody with a 3.90 wGPA..even though we both make the cutoff? Clearly the ABS still plays a big role, but I'm wondering if maybe uOttawa uses some form of a weighted formula of wGPA+ABS to determine who gets an interview.

thanks

In the strictest definition of cut-off it shouldn't matter ALTHOUGH it is the PM101 consensus that UofO does prefer people with higher wGPA's. (Take a look through last years invited/regrets thread) essentially they are much more forgiving on the EC front if you have a high wGPA.

Yeah, this is how we think they use wGPA. Granted, we'll never know for sure.

So I think savac and hockeynut answered this pretty well. Thanks guys.

Last year the strict academic cut off was 3.5 and then they started cutting off more and more people because it there are so many qualified applicant. I think 3rd year applicants need to have stronger GPAs on average (because they need to).

At the end of the day, the higher your GPA the better your academic chances are, but not your overall chances. If you sacrifice all your ECs for awesome academics, you're probably going to have a hard time getting an interview.

So for me, the OOP wGPA cut off was 3.88

If I scored a 3.88+, and I had an impressive supplemental package, I would get an interview. Then, it would come down to GPA + Interview. I don't think ECs play a huge role post-interview, but they certainly do beforehand. Hope this helps.

GP

I find it is hard to figure out what "great" ECs are for uOttawa...last year I was a wGPA 3.87 so I was just at my cutoff, but now I am wGPA 3.97 with the same ECs ...so I am hoping I have a greater chance at an interview.

Sometimes another year of life experience and perspective comes out in your application! Best of luck this year!

Archived