Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Grade Conversion

Hey Guys,

Quick question.

OMSAS calculated my GPA based on scale 7 (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf), even though my school grades on an A/B/C/D system where A=4.0/B=3/C=2/D=1. Basically its impossible for me to get a 4.0 because the highest GPA I can get is a 3.9 (A).

I talked to OMSAS, but it seems like the scale is fixed for my specific uni - so it can't be changed.

Do you think it would help if I emailed schools to explain my case? Also does anyone have a rough idea of GPA cutoffs for Ontario schools?

Thanks for your time, guys! Appreciate it!

-snap

P.S.: I attend a US institution. I don't know if scale 7 is used for all US schools, but hopefully this info helps someone in the future.

Just a quick clarification at your school percentage wise what constitutes a 4.0? Because for more canadian schools a 90%+ is a 4.0 maybe in some american schools having a high 80 gives you a 4.0. If that is the case try first contacting OMSAS and if they won't change it call the schools u applied to see if they will accept a letter of explanation if they do then send them in.

I have the same problem just a little different. I can never have a 3.9 because OMSAS uses a scale of 9 although many of my courses I had high 80s my school gave it a letter grade of A (Anything between 80-89% is an A) which translates into a 3.8.

But I think overall everyone from all different schools get screwed over with OMSAS GPA conversion.

If i were you, i would call each school individually and explain the situation and ask them about writing a letter to explain this situation. i had an issue with my application and called one school and they even said right now it's late in the cycle meaning that time is running out so i would do this as soon as possible. Call them first because writing a letter and sending it out and then later on finding out they didn't even look at it will be worse. Also once they say yes we will accept a letter of explanation ask them if it needs to be written on behalf of your university or if you are able to provide the explanation. I think getting info straight from each school will save so much time and confusion. Best of luck and tell us what the outcome is!

In the meantime while you are contacting schools high light this on your OMSAS verification form, print out a copy of your schools grading system and attach it with a letter of explanation and send it back to OMSAS. do this as soon as possible. They may just say that you should've known what grading system OMSAS will use and not change it but hey it's worth a try you really have nothing to lose by sending it but have a lot to lose if you don't and they do actually take this into consideration.

I'm in the same boat. Also went to a US school. Our grading system was just A/B/C/NC. This is all detailed on the transcript itself. They converted an A to 3.9 and a B is still 3.00. An A was worth 90% and above in most classes... This underestimates my GPA by 0.1.

I called OMSAS and I was told that they are required to use scale 7 for schools like mine, but that probably medical schools will take this into account. I got the feeling that this is something they see relatively often. I wasn't going to do anything about it, but now I think I should.

I'm in the same boat. Also went to a US school. Our grading system was just A/B/C/NC. This is all detailed on the transcript itself. They converted an A to 3.9 and a B is still 3.00. An A was worth 90% and above in most classes... This underestimates my GPA by 0.1.

I called OMSAS and I was told that they are required to use scale 7 for schools like mine, but that probably medical schools will take this into account. I got the feeling that this is something they see relatively often. I wasn't going to do anything about it, but now I think I should.

OMSAS won't change anything. You'll have to rely on the individual schools to address your concerns. I have emailed schools and they do takes things like this into consideration.

• 3 months later...

How are lab courses calculated into the gpa?

I go to ubc and we assign different credits on a range. Courses have 1,2,3,6 or 8 credits, where a 1 term course (half a year) is 3 credits. Full year courses typically have 6 credits but it gets more complicated when other factors like tutorials and labs are factored in.

I know that if I took a course that has a lab component, you just ignore the lab component when calculating the weight of that course, but what about discrete lab courses that are only 1-2 credits? Would I count that as a full 1 term course?

the specific courses I am referring to are:

-CHEM 233 (1 credit), which has 3 hours per week and is an ochem lab

-BIOL 140 (2 credits), which has 3 hours per week and is a bio lab

Archived