Premed 101 Forums

canadian citizen with us MD

Hey guys i went to states to pursue my career in medicine but unfortunately i failed my step 1 later i clear it with 220 ( which is not good for IMG) and now i just got my step 2 cs in which i failed i am so devastated i thougt i am going to clear it idk how it happen i am still shock

my question is

If after graduating from my college with M.D degree what steps can i take to start my career in canada how can i land in for residency in canada please help me

Caribbean med school currently in ny for rotation

1) You are not a US MD. You are an IMG MD.

2) You are basically screwed... Sorry. Failing the step 1 was a red flag.. Failing the Step 2 CS was the final nail in the coffin. Foreign citizens who are IMGs who fail the Step 2 CS and who need visa are a super bad combination in the US. I have a friend who only failed the step 2 CS, and didn't get a single interview invite after applying to 200 sites.

You could try for FM (and I'd only do FM, and you'd get 0 interview invites for anything other than FM in the US).

Other than that, your chances are really limited. You could apply for observerships in Canada, and hopefully scramble into the 2nd iteration. But then again.. you'd need the NAC OSCE now...

1) You are not a US MD. You are an IMG MD.

2) You are basically screwed... Sorry. Failing the step 1 was a red flag.. Failing the Step 2 CS was the final nail in the coffin. Foreign citizens who are IMGs who fail the Step 2 CS and who need visa are a super bad combination in the US. I have a friend who only failed the step 2 CS, and didn't get a single interview invite after applying to 200 sites.

You could try for FM (and I'd only do FM, and you'd get 0 interview invites for anything other than FM in the US).

Other than that, your chances are really limited. You could apply for observerships in Canada, and hopefully scramble into the 2nd iteration. But then again.. you'd need the NAC OSCE now...

yes i cant wait to graduate from here and go back to canada should i signup for MCCQEI rightnow for june date so i can perpare it ??

Hey guys i went to states to pursue my career in medicine but unfortunately i failed my step 1 later i clear it with 220 ( which is not good for IMG) and now i just got my step 2 cs in which i failed i am so devastated i thougt i am going to clear it idk how it happen i am still shock

my question is

If after graduating from my college with M.D degree what steps can i take to start my career in canada how can i land in for residency in canada please help me

Doing electives in Canada would help, and you'd need to write the MCCEE (and the NAC OSCE) for most programs. Some require more than that, but you'd have to check individual programs. It's really your only path to practicing in Canada

Still, chances aren't great. You're an IMG applicant, competing against a lot of other IMG applicants. Exceptional candidates have trouble and, with respect, your history doesn't scream "exceptional candidate". Get as much face time with Canadian programs as possible, do a lot better on the MCCEE than you did on the USMLEs, and you might have a chance. Otherwise...

OP: I strongly recommend speaking to an advisor from your school. We don't understand your exact predicament and don't want to lead you in a wrong direction.

Even if he/she did talk to the school, there's nothing the school can do to help in this case. The school cannot determine whether a residency program will match the OP.

Once you fail the Step 1 AND step 2 CS - it is set in stone, it cannot be undone. Your chances for anything better than FM or maybe psych are shot to hell. You'd be fortunate to match in FM somewhere in middle of nowhere America.

I had a friend in almost exactly the same predicament as the OP - had awesome letters of recommendation, passed the USMLE step 2 CS the 2nd time around - but that wasn't enough. The damage as been done. Talked a bunch of PDs in person - none of them can offer him anything because

1) Foreign citizen in need of visa

2) IMG

3) Failed Step 2 CS once

With all 3 - it is GG.

You'd be lucky to ever match anywhere in the US.

The OP can however try for Canada, do observerships, and hopefully squeek into FM somwhere, as Canada does not give a rat's @#$ about the USMLEs...

I'm more concerned about the caliber of a person/student the OP is to have failed those 2 exams. I mean, at the end of the day, we are here to ensure that the public is safe and well cared for. I'm concerned that the OP will squeek into a residency somewhere, (o God.. maybe even Canada).. do something foolish, and a person ends up dead...

Even if he/she did talk to the school, there's nothing the school can do to help in this case.

Once you fail the Step 1 AND step 2 CS - it is set in stone, it cannot be undone. Your chances for anything better than FM or maybe psych are shot to hell. You'd be fortunate to match in FM somewhere in middle of nowhere America.

I had a friend in almost exactly the same predicament as the OP - had awesome letters of recommendation, passed the USMLE step 2 CS the 2nd time around - but that wasn't enough. The damage as been done. Talked a bunch of PDs in person - none of them can offer him anything because

1) Foreign citizen in need of visa

2) IMG

3) Failed Step 2 CS once

With all 3 - it is GG.

You'd be lucky to ever match anywhere in the US.

The OP can however try for Canada, do observerships, and hopefully squeek into FM somwhere, as Canada does not give a rat's @#$ about the USMLEs...

I'm more concerned about the caliber of a person/student the OP is to have failed those 2 exams. I mean, at the end of the day, we are here to ensure that the public is safe and well cared for. I'm concerned that the OP will squeek into a residency somewhere, (o God.. maybe even Canada).. do something foolish, and a person ends up dead...

The OP asked about Canada, not the US, so presumably that's where they're trying for...

As for caliber, have a little faith in our residency selection process. The OP would not only have to pass the MCCEE and (for many programs) the NAC OSCE, but excel on them. Given the OP's USMLE results, I don't expect that to happen, but it's not entirely implausible. Plenty of people have been less-than-stellar at one point during the path to become a physician in Canada and have been capable practitioners.

The OP asked about Canada, not the US, so presumably that's where they're trying for...

As for caliber, have a little faith in our residency selection process. The OP would not only have to pass the MCCEE and (for many programs) the NAC OSCE, but excel on them. Given the OP's USMLE results, I don't expect that to happen, but it's not entirely implausible. Plenty of people have been less-than-stellar at one point during the path to become a physician in Canada and have been capable practitioners.

mmhmm, I'd say he has a higher chance of matching in Canada at this point than the US given the situation... Which is kinda scary for the Canadian public if you think about it...

But, OP, you need to do well on MCCEE, and NAC Osce. Then you need to do observerships in Canada (FM), then get letters of recommendation. Lastly, you should apply for the 2014-2015 cycle, as it is too late for this cycle.

mmhmm, I'd say he has a higher chance of matching in Canada at this point than the US given the situation... Which is kinda scary for the Canadian public if you think about it...

But, OP, you need to do well on MCCEE, and NAC Osce. Then you need to do observerships in Canada (FM), then get letters of recommendation. Lastly, you should apply for the 2014-2015 cycle, as it is too late for this cycle.

A bit scary, yes, but it would be the same if the situation were reversed (someone who failed the MCCEE would have a better chance in the US). And I totally agree, go for the 2014-2015 cycle.

i know my caliber is questionable but believe it or not i graduate from U o T with 3.7 GPA did great in MD school and on rotations but screwed up in these boards i was not focused in start but after failing my step 1 that was a wake-up call for me and i pull myself together and cleared it on 2nd attempt was so sure i would clear CS with high performance out of 3 components i got high performance on 2 and got failed in CIS which is shocking even my current director is shocked i am considered the best when it comes to communication skills and building relation with patients also i am considered amazing at taking history making notes idk how i screwed up guys i am so devastated :(

On a similar note, would it be possible for OP to apply to residency programs abroad such as in the UK or Australia given the circumstances? (Just wondering)

No, he/she would need UK or Australia citizenship, which is very hard to obtain unless you marry a citizen there. This is a reason why Canadians who go to Australia or Ireland or England for med school should not count on practicing there as a "backup".

i know my caliber is questionable but believe it or not i graduate from U o T with 3.7 GPA did great in MD school and on rotations but screwed up in these boards i was not focused in start but after failing my step 1 that was a wake-up call for me and i pull myself together and cleared it on 2nd attempt was so sure i would clear CS with high performance out of 3 components i got high performance on 2 and got failed in CIS which is shocking even my current director is shocked i am considered the best when it comes to communication skills and building relation with patients also i am considered amazing at taking history making notes idk how i screwed up guys i am so devastated :(

Man... you just wrote the longest run on sentence I've seen since graduating high school. That doesn't exactly scream 'excellent communication skills.'

I'm not pointing this out to simply dump on you. Rather, I want to illustrate that you should take a step back and consider the advice people are giving you here, and at your school. If your adviser honestly believes you are the 'best' at communicating among your peers, and you can't write what would approximate a proper sentence, then you should question the rest of their personal evaluations/suggestions. They may not be helping you at all.

Beyond your failed qualifiers, you need to reflect on what's holding you back at this level. Advisers who tell you that you're 'the best', despite failing multiple times, are not helpful advisers. They're just yes-men. You need to find people who are brutally honest about your limitations, who genuinely want to help, and surround yourself with them. Those are the most valuable people you can find in life.

You might want to consider getting outside career advice from people in the geographies you wish to work in. Communicate directly with people engaged in Canadian residencies, and their program directors about your situation.

Archived