Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copied this post below from UofT Med's facebook page and died laughing lol Amanda Smith, I hope you used a fake name.

University of Toronto MD Program - Admissions & Student Finance

January 29

It was great to meet everyone who interviewed last Saturday, our first interview day. Interviews for February 1st & 2nd are all confirmed. We will be working on invitations for March very soon! Watch this space!

Like · Comment

Stephanie Chan, Terri Emz, Katie Mattina and 5 others like this.

View 1 more comment

Amanda Smith Are rejections being sent out after interview invitations? Haven't heard of any rejections yet.

15 hours ago

Amanda Smith Uggg how annoying making people wait! just send out the damn rejections already! People need to move on with their lives!!!

Copied this post below from UofT Med's facebook page and died laughing lol Amanda Smith, I hope you used a fake name.

University of Toronto MD Program - Admissions & Student Finance

January 29

It was great to meet everyone who interviewed last Saturday, our first interview day. Interviews for February 1st & 2nd are all confirmed. We will be working on invitations for March very soon! Watch this space!

Like · Comment

Stephanie Chan, Terri Emz, Katie Mattina and 5 others like this.

View 1 more comment

Amanda Smith Are rejections being sent out after interview invitations? Haven't heard of any rejections yet.

15 hours ago

Amanda Smith Uggg how annoying making people wait! just send out the damn rejections already! People need to move on with their lives!!!

LOLOL She took one for all of us

Regarding the essay that is required by U/T for application, I really doubt that is necessary & a good tool to measure the applicants. As you can see, someone had the essay commented by other people, that means it doesn't really reflect what he/her thinks & the real writing skill. UBC got rid of it for application several years ago.

Regarding the essay that is required by U/T for application, I really doubt that is necessary & a good tool to measure the applicants. As you can see, someone had the essay commented by other people, that means it doesn't really reflect what he/her thinks & the real writing skill. UBC got rid of it for application several years ago.

Almost everyone gets their essays edited by others. But worse than that I know a few people who had their essays written for them by professionals. This is why I think the essays are a waste of time for both applicants and the adcom.

Almost everyone gets their essays edited by others. But worse than that I know a few people who had their essays written for them by professionals. This is why I think the essays are a waste of time for both applicants and the adcom.

I would actually happen to disagree. Although essays by nature are subjective, and a better written essay leaves a stronger impression..... alot of times the essays are intended to tell things about an individual that a standard ABS won't, like how they overcame adversity, a deeper explanation of their passions and lessons learned from their activities, etc.

People will always cheat the system. Does that mean that the measure itself is ineffective? I see these essays as working two ways -- assessing whether you fit UofT's values, and whether your values fit UofT. Of course you can cheat the system and write something insincere, but you are doing a disservice to yourself when there are other more fitting med schools out there for you. In terms of people paying others to write an application, I would be pretty embarrassed if I were someone who outsources a professional writer for something as simple as an application asking you about your values in a few short essays. Additionally, who is to say that a professional is going to write something that UofT will like?

I understand what the essays are intended for and how they assess the applicant. The essays would be a fantastic tool if everyone played fair. However, if people fake their experiences and don't write honestly then the essays stop being a useful tool of assessment. I think this is the reason why other schools such as UWO and UBC stopped requiring the essays as part of the application, too many people were BSing them.

People will always cheat the system. Does that mean that the measure itself is ineffective? I see these essays as working two ways -- assessing whether you fit UofT's values, and whether your values fit UofT. Of course you can cheat the system and write something insincere, but you are doing a disservice to yourself when there are other more fitting med schools out there for you. In terms of people paying others to write an application, I would be pretty embarrassed if I were someone who outsources a professional writer for something as simple as an application asking you about your values in a few short essays. Additionally, who is to say that a professional is going to write something that UofT will like?

well in this competitive system often the most fitting medical school for you is simply whatever one accepts you - people often don't have the luxury about worrying about fit etc.

Of course people will always attempt to cheat any system but that doesn't mean there should be a component that is significantly easier to cheat with. That would be a structure weakness to the system.

I remember Queens on my interview actually had us write an essay on the spot for evaluation. Not useful for prescreening but perhaps is for actually post interview etc :)

Hang in there, you never know when they may get back to you. I gave up checking my e-mail, and found the letter much later. There's still hope!

That must have been the best (expecting nothing, seeing an invite!). I try to not get too obsessive about my email, but I get it on my phone (bad decision in hindsight...)

Archived