Premed 101 Forums

University of Guelph to Medical Schools

Johnra95

Hello

I am a student from University of Guelph. I am intending to major in Bio-Medical Sciences. I had a 1st semester GPA of 96. My ultimate goal is to become a general practitioner. I would like to know how many students from University of Guelph make it to medical schools. I am nervous about the fact that University of Guelph does not have a medical school, so I would be at disadvantage compared to students from universities that have medical schools and associated hospitals. I would like to know statistics of students from Guelph going to medical school, if possible. I was thinking of switiching to Mac Health Sci or enroll in Calgary Health Sci to get the alberta advantage

Should I transfer? I don't think I want to but my parents said it boosts the chance of getting accepted to medical school.

Are there a lot of students from Guelph that make it to med school?

Thank You So Much!

Where you go for undergrad does not matter, it's been addressed many times on here.

Regarding stats: I imagine that Guelph may have the same issue my university does because of the vet school: lots of pre-vets, not so many premeds. As a result, statistics would likely be misleading anyway as the career goals of Guelph undergrads are not likely the same, on a population-level, as undergrads from a 'popular' premed program like Mac HealthSci. (and to be honest I cannot think of any schools in Canada that publishes the information you are seeking.)

If you are doing well, which appears to be the case, and like the school, there is no reason to change schools because there's no inherent advantage attending a university that has a med school.

Hello

I am a student from University of Guelph. I am intending to major in Bio-Medical Sciences. I had a 1st semester GPA of 96. My ultimate goal is to become a general practitioner. I would like to know how many students from University of Guelph make it to medical schools. I am nervous about the fact that University of Guelph does not have a medical school, so I would be at disadvantage compared to students from universities that have medical schools and associated hospitals. I would like to know statistics of students from Guelph going to medical school, if possible. I was thinking of switiching to Mac Health Sci or enroll in Calgary Health Sci to get the alberta advantage

Should I transfer? I don't think I want to but my parents said it boosts the chance of getting accepted to medical school.

Are there a lot of students from Guelph that make it to med school?

Thank You So Much!

well if you are getting 96 at Guelph that alone suggests a pretty powerful advantage - what you are doing is so far working - and I generally have a don't mess with things that are working policy :) The advantage those other programs have on paper is they students get high GPAs or access special regional advantages. You are already getting a high GPA it seems - although you need to convert that average to GPA - average doesn't mean much, GPA means everything. A very high GPA is the most powerful tool in the admissions process - the hardest thing to get and the most important thing to have.

Schools don't care where you did your UG. This is formal policy that is stated at most if not all medical school admission rules throughout the country. More over it is clearly true at a number of them as people are flat out blind to your grades and school location (Mac and Western for instance immediately spring to mind - note those are just the ones that have obvious policies making sure it doesn't matter. I believe the others schools are well protected as well - I just am not absolutely sure how they do it. You have mostly likely no idea how carefully schools check this sort of stuff - I didn't originally. They study things to death).

The school counting towards admission is really a US strategy - down there the school matters because the difference between schools is quite large. Here is not the case - actually the government works hard to try and make sure they are the same (refer to their transfer courses policies for instance - ever wonder why it is relatively easy to transfer to other schools in the first place? Why are those courses automatically counted? It isn't often the same way in the US). They do that because they are paying for everything and what strict standards.

Based on what published statistics that I have seen - mostly from Toronto, Mac and Western Guelph represents well relative the number of students accepted.

As well I should declare some bias - after all I am a graduate from the university of guelph after all :) I also have degrees at other schools as well but Guelph was the foundation of my education and ultimately the key to my success longer term. I of course know many other students from Western also who graduated from Guelph (one of which I consider to be one the best new surgeon residents out there). It is a good school, with an excellent rep.

Haha, Guelph is great and all but I also want Alberta's in province advantage. Do you think its worth the transfer?

ha :) ok now THAT is an interesting question - and not just for Alberta, I mean often you can get similar advantages going to various places or taking other extreme means (I knew someone that learned french for the SOLE reason of applying to Ottawa - it was faster to learn a language that improve their GPA.)

It is worth it? I am not sure of course anyone can answer that - it in part depends on whether you want to go to Alberta for quite some time. I mean 10 years. Plus you likely have stronger networking at your medical school and may have a better chances of matching there as a result so we may be talking a very long time :)

In a completely new place without whatever supports you have now will you perform as well? Well there be an increase in costs - draining money that could be spent in other ways to help your application? A lot of very specific personal choices. Some people just want to travel and see new things.

The bigger problem is simply you never know when a school is going to change their rules - and they do all the time. I have seem people in many separate instances do masters degrees gunning for one school, wait 10 years to apply for old courses to not count, pile on particular types of ECs they think a school likes, retake the mcat over and over again to get a specific section score - and in all these cases have that school just change the rules midstride and left people high and dry - wasting years. It is so dangerous to rely on any schools single policy rather than the fundamentals in my opinion.

With a 96 average you don't need an inprovince advantage.

Guelph has a lot of advantages like smaller student population making it easier to access professors, we have a full human anatomy class/lab (we get our own cadaver! Something not many other UGs have), and lots of research opportunities.

I wouldn't switch if you are otherwise happy with your education experience.

Archived