Premed 101 Forums

good sources for reviewing ethics prior to interview?

Guest sensodyne

Guest sensodyne

Does anyone know of a good website or book for reviewing ethical issues. I have neither taken an ethics course nor read an ethics book. My U of T interview is next weekend, so I'd like to read about some typical ethical topics that often come up during interviews. Thanks for your help.

Guest Isoceles

Read the CMAJ Bioethics for Clinicians Series. Just google that phrase and it will come right up. I felt really un-confident about doing ethics scenarios and it has really helped me alot... I now feel much more comfortable.

Guest pappy mckeys

I agree with the CMAJ series. "Doing right" by Hebert is also a great book for medical ethics. Its straightforward and to the point. Its also <200 pages, so you can read it in 1-2 nights.

Cheers

Guest Jose007

Hey,

Congrats on your interview. Like everyone has already adviced, reading "Doing Right" would be a good start. I think that book covers many of the important ones and from there you can build a mindset on how to tackle ethical questions on the interview. I have some links which you can look at if you like:

www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/.../2512.html

www.cmaj.ca/misc/bioethics_e.shtml

archives.cnn.com/2001/COM...plan.cnna/

www.firstthings.com/ftiss...odwin.html

www.euthanasia7.com/?src=overture

That's all I have for now. =)

Goodluck with your interview!

Guest sensodyne

wow...thanks for all the quick responses. Looks like I'll have plenty of ethics reading to do during the next week (good thing I'm not in school this semester).

I also need suggestions on either a website, magazine, or newspaper that covers recent healthcare issues in Canada specifically Ontario. I'm a BC resident, who has been out of the country for a while until a few weeks ago, and haven't kept up with Canadian news...nevermind, news related to healthcare.

cheers

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I second 'Doing Right' by Hebert. It's all I read for my interviews and I found it pretty comprehensive, from a medical school interview standpoint. Plus it's nice and short and easy to read, which totally helps with cramming!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived