Premed 101 Forums

name dropping

Guest circusgirl

Guest circusgirl

I have worked with physician(s) who are well-known at one of the medical schools and routinely teach the medical students. If I mention their name during the interview (with that school), how is that looked upon? One one hand, I could see it being looked upon favourably, especially if they are well-liked and respected by their colleagues and students, but on the other hand, I don't want to seem so desperate that I have to drop names to try and gain credibility. advice?

Personally, I think I'd find it a little obnoxious. :\

I mean, if you're asked something like "How do you know you will succeed in medical school?" and you say "Well, I've worked with Dr. X, and s/he has extensively described the program to me, and I think I'll succeed", then that seems reasonable to me. But name dropping for the sake of name dropping won't help at all, imho.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I agree with the above. Besides, there are plenty of questions that could arise during the course of an interview, aside from the above, wherein you could include a doctor's name. I had a few questions within at least 2 interviews that were of that nature and I did mention names.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest circusgirl

thanks guys,

I definitely wasn't considering name dropping just for the sake of name dropping (I probably shouldn't have used the term "name dropping")- more along the lines of if there was a natural place for it to come up in the conversation, whether it'd be ok for me to do so.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Sure, that approach sounds fine. Just remember, no "name-dropping" of folks in sensitive/confidential situations, e.g., patients who you have encountered, etc. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived