Premed 101 Forums

Family problems distracting me from interview prep

Guest Snew

Hey all,

I have an interview at Dalhousie this Saturday, and have spent some time over the last little while preparing. However, there is currently a huge family crisis (someone in my family is being abused by their significant other) that is really distracting me from focusing on my interview. I am worried that the stress of this situation would prevent me from performing my best on interview day.

I really want to shine in my interview, because my GPA and MCATs were only ok. Any suggestions from others who have dealt with tough times through interviews, or during school in general?

Guest satsumargirl

Hi Snew,

First, I am sorry to hear of your situation. It is always tough to put emotions aside.

But Saturday is coming up quick and if you can just focus on the interview for the next few days, once it is over you can focus on your family.

I have known a few people who have been in and gotten out of abusive relationships and in these experiences there was nothing that would have been accomplished in a mear few days.

From your post it sounds like there are other family members involved besides you and the person in the abusive relationship. If you can try and let them bear the burden of support at this time. Your family will understand that you need to focus on your goals at this time.

And I do not at all mean to sound cold when I say this...but you don`t really have ownership of this problem. It belongs to your family member and ultimately he/she will be the one to get himself/herself out of this relationship if he/she wants. (of course with much support from family and friends). So at this time there may be little you can do and it sounds like the rest of your famliy may have things covered for now.

It is SO much easier said than done. But try and focus on your interview and try not to feel guilty about it.

Good luck...

Sats

Guest happy2bme

I received word 2 days before my interview last year that my best friend was clinically brain dead. no, I'm not kidding. I thought it would effect my interview but I think I performed well, because as soon as the interview process begins you find yourself completely immersed in the questioning and will not be thinking of anything else outside of the little room you are sitting in. Just take a few deep breaths.......and you'll do fine. After it's over you can try and help out with your family situation.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. I had my interview yesterday and you are right, I was just so focused on the interview that my family problems just got shoved to the back burner. They didn't affect my performance at all.

Sats is right too, that it is not my problem, and its not cold to say that. Everyone just wants those close to them to be happy. I will just be there for her and when she is ready to leave, good for her!

Thanks again!

Snew :)

Archived