Premed 101 Forums

Electives Abroad

Anyone done electives in other countries? I'm interested in possibly South Africa or Australia post CaRMS 2015. J/w if someone on here has some experience and advice on strong programs. I'm interested in the trauma aspect. Obviously SA would have better cases but j/w overall. If there are other good places to go to please let me know. Thanks and good luck to all the 2014ers!

With respect to South Africa are you thinking Joburg?

You will need to go through the university and the electives do fill up, so I would get in touch as soon as you know you want to go and see if it's possible.

http://www.wits.ac.za

It's the Univ of Witwatersrand

I attempted to go as a med student but my only free elective time coincided with their summer vacation - so didn't work out.

I have heard it is a good experience. However, you have to be comfortable with the risk to your own safety in terms of living there for a period of time and getting to and from the hospital safely. Also consider your risk of HIV exposure etc. If you are ok with these things, then it could be a good experience. Cape Town will also have alot of trauma, and be a bit more safe (this is relative) but when I tried to set up an elective there they were very full and even had a hard time fitting in their own students, so hard for them to make space for a foreign student (similar to here I guess).

I'm not sure about trauma in Australia.

There are a number of programs in the US that would see more trauma than Canada. Detroit and Baltimore come to mind. So you don't need to go too far.

Wherever you end up going as a student, make sure you will be well supervised so that you get good learning.

Archived