Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Discussion 2014

Any hard cutoffs people can spot? I realize it's difficult because CASPer is a confounding factor, but I'm inclined to say a 3.6ish GPA or <11 VR guarantee rejection, from the stats I've glanced over.

I agree, I don't think there are really any hard cutoffs since they only make up 64% of the formula. If you look at TNhorses stats from last year [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArlB46Pi6-RmdFpWQlA0Qld2R1R5cU5NcWxvOTgyZWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0]there are quite a few people with verbal scores of 10s and 9s. As for cGPA I would bring that down even further to ~3.4-3.5 (I got an interview and with OMSAS weighting I dip just below 3.5). Now if you add a graduate degress bonus on top of that I think your stats could be even worse than that and still possibly get an invite. One of the nice things about McMaster is that it is one of those schools where pretty much everyone has a shot :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any hard cutoffs people can spot? I realize it's difficult because CASPer is a confounding factor, but I'm inclined to say a 3.6ish GPA or <11 VR guarantee rejection, from the stats I've glanced over.

A verbal reasoning score of less than 11 does not guarantee rejection.

To begin, let's look at the number of accepted students who scored <11 on VR in previous years:

Class of 2016: 63/203 (31%)

Class of 2015: 95/203 (47%)

Class of 2014: 99/204 (49%)

So a VR score of <11 did not guarantee rejection in previous years, but what about this year? We don't have the same stats, but we can use this forum as a sample. Based on the "McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2014" thread, here's what we know:

VR = 14

# interviews: 3

# rejections: 0

VR = 13

# interviews: 11

# rejections: 1

VR = 12

# interviews: 8

# rejections: 4

VR = 11

# interviews: 12

# rejections: 11

VR = 10

# interviews: 9

# rejections: 15

VR = 9

# interviews: 1

# rejections: 6

Based on this sample of 81 applicants (44 of whom were offered interviews and 37 of whom were not), 10 out of 44 (23%) people who were offered interviews scored <11 on VR. We can also estimate some probabilities:

If VR = 14, then 100% chance of getting an interview

If VR = 13, then 92% chance of getting an interview

If VR = 12, then 67% chance of getting an interview

If VR = 11, then 52% chance of getting an interview

If VR = 10, then 38% chance of getting an interview

If VR = 9, then 14% chance of getting an interview

Of course, given the size and nature of the sample, we can't draw too strong of conclusions, but it provides a rough overview of things.

Although we can't identify a hard cutoff, I'd say that chances of getting an interview really diminish with a VR score of 9 or lower. For someone with a VR score of 10, I think there's still a lot of room for him or her to get an interview, provided his or her GPA and/or CASPer performance is/are above average.

I have a 10 in VR, and I've gotten an interview the past 2 years.

Perhaps if I have some time I might compile a spreadsheet like Trojjan did last year.

I personally know people that have interviewed with 9 in VR and then went on to be accepted. No hard cutoffs as GPA, VR, and CASPER are all weighted equally. 3.9, 11VR, and a decent CASPER score does seem like the magic combination for an interview.

I don't see why people would be angry at me, I wished them good luck. If they didn't have good luck then I can't change that. I'm not the god of fortune.

Well... I was hoping that I don't need to spell it out. I don't know you. For all I know you may be a nice, smart, hardworking person. However, if you are judged by your stats alone (GPA, MCAT score, and CASPR which you left 2/3 of the questions blank), you should not have qualified for an interview. That's a cold hard fact. Not when there are people with 3.9+ GPA and 10+ verbal who answered most of the questions on CASPR who are rejected. There is something going on here that is not "luck" as we would define the term. All I'm getting at is, I don't know what the truth is. I don't know what your circumstances are. The stats you posted are guaranteed to draw suspicion and scrutiny, so prepare yourself for that.

A verbal reasoning score of less than 11 does not guarantee rejection.

To begin, let's look at the number of accepted students who scored <11 on VR in previous years...

I won't quote the whole post for size issues, but it certainly looks like the number of people with VR <11 being invited is dropping every year, from 49% down to 23% (estimated). Even if we ignore this year as being incomplete, a drop from 49% to 31% in 3 years is quite significant.

Let me revise my statement, in light of your figures:

A cGPA <3.7~ or a VR score <11 is a negative influence on your chances at Mac.

That sound better to everyone?

I won't quote the whole post for size issues, but it certainly looks like the number of people with VR <11 being invited is dropping every year, from 49% down to 23% (estimated). Even if we ignore this year as being incomplete, a drop from 49% to 31% in 3 years is quite significant.

Yes, notably better. We can back that statement up with stats :)

Well... I was hoping that I don't need to spell it out. I don't know you. For all I know you may be a nice, smart, hardworking person. However, if you are judged by your stats alone (GPA, MCAT score, and CASPR which you left 2/3 of the questions blank), you should not have qualified for an interview. That's a cold hard fact. Not when there are people with 3.9+ GPA and 10+ verbal who answered most of the questions on CASPR who are rejected. There is something going on here that is not "luck" as we would define the term. All I'm getting at is, I don't know what the truth is. I don't know what your circumstances are. The stats you posted are guaranteed to draw suspicion and scrutiny, so prepare yourself for that.

This sounds like a conspiracy theory. Wake up Plumeko. The moon landing wasn't fake, Hitler's holograph happened, and I got an interview fair and square.

They changed the pre interview weighting last year from 25/25/46 to 32/32/32.

I expect this year will have a similar makeup of my class. That accounts for the change from 49% to 30%.

Mac is probably the most open school when it comes to how they select people which is what makes this topic sort of a moot point. They use the formula and assign people a z score for VR gpa and casper then ad them together. Only Mac has the data on applicant which is used to determine said z scores.

This troll is fooling a surprising number of people. lol.

Hey guys, was just wondering, how does someone prepare for the interview at mac or is there actually anyway to do it. If someone wants to practice with me (closer to the interview in march of course) feel free to msg me.

any suggestions welcome, THANKS

I personally found Doing Right helped

And from here on the formula for choosing the accepted class of 203 from the 550 interviewees is the following, right?

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score

I'm pretty sure that's consistent with 2013 and 2012. I can't remember beyond that though.

And from here on the formula for choosing the accepted class of 203 from the 550 interviewees is the following, right?

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score

From what I understand the second formula decides who moves onto full file review. None of us really knows what that means, but probably things like reading the reference letters for red flags etc.

Archived