Premed 101 Forums

Practice Question to think about...

Guest aneliz

Guest DancingDoc

Good one Aneliz....

Hm, if I was asked this question in an interview I know what I'd most likely answer but I don't know if it's what they'd be looking for. For me it would be when I travelled to Ghana. On the flight home I had to connect through Ethiopia (it was a really weird flight path), but our plane leaving Ghana was late leaving so I got stuck in Ethiopia and another plane wasn't leaving for nearly 24h. So I was exhausted and they were arranging hotels for everyone on the flight to stay at (this flight we all missed was this only one out of Africa for the next day). The only way we could leave the airport though was to hand over our passports.... Scariest thing ever because for starters the people in charge were very disorganized plus it's my passport!!! But I was terrified to fall asleep in this airport plus leave my stuff unattended especially if I had to stay 24h. So I sucked it up and gave it over. I had photocopies of my passport at least, not that they'd be a huge help. Anyway I did get it back ssafely, but they wouldn't give it back until I was back at the airport, with my luggaged checke and boarding pass in hand. At least it turned out alright....

I don't know what the interviewers could take from that answer though. I didn't really handle it poorly or handle it well..... So for a question like this, where that is my most relevant truthful story, should I try to think of something instead that shows I can handle a situationI 'm uncomfortable with to give the interviewers better insight into how I handle various things?

Guest WesternMan

nice question boss, got me thinking.

Yeah it's one of those questions where it could be answered in such a way that would provide insight into your decision making and stress handling abilities.

At the same time though, DancingDoc - I thought your story was pretty good because it shows that you show concern at the right time and ask yourself key questions before proceeding in uncomfortable scenarios. I guess in the end, you "sucked it up" and gave them your passport because as a passenger in a foreign country you had little other option but to trust the government in holding your documents. so sucking it up could equate with understanding your limitations as a foreigner and respect for local law...who knows, just firing darts out there but thats what i'm thinking.

I have a similar story involving airport security and racial profiling due to what friends call my ability to look very Middle Eastern when I dont shave for more than three days. But if i told that story, I'd get worked up and probably lose my cool haha

man from mustannnng city

Guest Jochi1543

Oh, I remember a whole bunch of those moments from my 4-month stay at the hospital as a child. 3 enemas in one day, gastroscopy, getting blood drawn 10 times a day.... :rollin Or, on the other end of the spectrum - picking up sheets soiled with fresh @#%$ as a volunteer at the hospital and such.:lol You just suck it up and deal with it, I can't think of a more encompassing answer.

Archived