Premed 101 Forums

Interview Nerves...

Guest lidia

Any shy people in med school?

I'm getting pretty nervous about the upcoming interview season. While my stats may get me an interview, I have been told that my "sweet and shy" demeanor may undermine my other personality traits...

While its been suggested I should try to cover up these traits, I think I would be even more uncomfortable going into an interview trying to be something I'm not.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks so much.

Guest CareBear15

Hi lidia,

Sure there are shy people in medical school.

The point of the interview is to give the interviewers a good view of who you are, why you want to go into medicine and what experiences you've had to show that you'd be a good doctor. This is hard to do in forty minutes, but it must be done. So don't be afraid to talk about yourself and why you're a good candidate.

The worst thing you could do is make the interviewer's job a hard one by making them draw things out of you.... so don't be shy!

You'll do great.

Guest Jochi1543

If you are very nervous, take some valerian root before the interview and avoid chocolate/soda/coffee so you don't get too hyper. Always helped me on oral exams and presentations.

Guest summervirus

Hi lidia,

I would describe myself as shy and an introvert. I remember that when I was preparing for my interviews in the past that it was extremely difficult and I was asking the same questions as you. I didn't know how I would come across during the actual interview.

Here are some things that I tried that I found helpful:

- I practised with a number of friends and family before hand and asked them to give me feedback not only on the content of my answers but also the way I delivered it (including non-verbal cues).

- I also went through some of the "common" questions beforehand so that I would have an organized approach when asked about them. I know that I'm easily flustered and embarassed because I'm shy by nature. The last thing that I wanted to happen was to blank-out during the interview when asked "Why do you want to be a doctor?"

I think that CareBear15 gave some really good advice. I agree. Remember the interview is a good time (the only time) you'll have to "sell" yourself as a potential student to the school in person. When you communicate your strengths and vocalize your opinions, you don't have to do it in an aggressive manner. :) Rather, communicating and expressing yourself in a thorough, thoughtful, and soft spoken way is a great way of doing it, and I'm sure a strength of yours. Practice makes perfect. Try running through a few mock interviews with some trusted friends and family. Good luck!

Guest Jochi1543

I think another approach is to think of it as an interesting conversation with a bunch of educated people. Think about it this way - these people are so interested in you, they are willing to listen to you for 30 minutes straight, if not more. Doesn't it mean you have something exciting to offer?

Sometimes it really helps to forget just how important an interview is. I've been through some grueling job interviews, and the best you can do is just connect with the interviewer using whatever common ground you may have. Believe it or not, oftentimes the interviewer hates the interview as much as you do, so just relax and be casual and friendly. Body language is important - don't lean forward too close or sit with your arms and legs tightly crossed. If your body is tight, your state of mind will be affected too. If you keep freaking out and thinking "OMG, these 30 minutes will make it or break it," it won't help you relax and be yourself.

Think about it this way - these people are so interested in you, they are willing to listen to you for 30 minutes straight, if not more.
I totally agree with this--when again in your life are people going to want to listen to you talking all about yourself and your goals for 30 minutes to an hour? Try to enjoy the opportunity! :)

Guest citrinez

I haven't gone through the interview process yet, but I know that for my oral presentations, I talk in front of the mirror, and sometimes...despite what my mommy says about talking to strangers :b , I try and be more conversational with strangers than I normally would be, just to see how they respond to me. Like if I'm on the bus, and I might start a conversation about something with the person beside me. ( not the weather, because its too typical and short) Good luck to you:)

Guest Jochi1543

Haha, citrinez, I'd tell you how *I* would respond to you if you tried to chat me up on the bus.:rollin But I guess it would teach you how to deal with adversity....:P In my experience, the only people who approach strangers on public transportation are homeless and/or mentally ill individuals.

Guest Lactic Folly

There is a whole range of personalities in med school. Can you think of the advantages that yours might offer?

sweet = pleasant, approachable

shy = considerate, good listener (patients love this)

If you feel you are nervous, try reframing that as excitement. Enthusiasm always helps.

One thing that helps is to do a practice interview while being videotaped, and then watch it afterward. I actually came across better than I thought I did.

And remember, you don't need a "perfect" interview to get in - medical students are not necessarily more personable than the average person.. if you have any more related questions or areas of interest, I'd be happy to offer my thoughts.

Guest RoseSmurfette

I'm usually fine in social settings even among strangers and I think reasonnably well on my feet. I don't even think I'm normally thought of as particularly shy. So it's not answering questions or interacting with people that's the problem.

But occasionally I have a horrible sense of nervous stage fright when I'm put on the spot. I've been to interviews (job interviews) and been asked simple questions that I completely blank out on. And sometimes in oral presentations, I can't even recall a passage that I've completely memorized.

Any suggestions for me?

Guest Jochi1543

Valerian root is a herbal supplement that helps with sleep problems and rapid heart beat, my greatgrandparents swear by it for their insomnia and heart problems. And you know, these old people are always on to something! It definitely helps calm your nerves whether you are freaking out before the interview or can't sleep the night before, but it doesn't dumb you down the way some prescription sleep aids do, for example.

Guest satsumargirl
But occasionally I have a horrible sense of nervous stage fright when I'm put on the spot. I've been to interviews (job interviews) and been asked simple questions that I completely blank out on. And sometimes in oral presentations, I can't even recall a passage that I've completely memorized.

The good news is that med school interviews are about YOU :)

Not something you memorized! So as long as you know yourself and your reasons for applying the meds you should be fine.

Guest Lactic Folly

RoseSmurfette, if this happens at least somewhat often, it sounds like you feel this could be a problem in the interview. If you feel nervous or have anxious thoughts leading up to the event, then relaxation exercises or combating negative thoughts (cognitive behavioural therapy - do a search) will help. Or else, practice (in the form of systematic desensitization or visualiztion) may be helpful. I found this list of resources on the web (also has a page on stage fright):

www.anxietycoach.com/resources.htm

Archived