Premed 101 Forums

In utero genetic testing and abortion decisions

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

Another topic I found on a forum where I post frequently and that I thought some of us may consider interesting.

We all know how genetic testing on embryos is becoming more readily available. Generally, it's recommended for couples where both parents are likely to be heterozygous for a serious genetic disease in order to determine whether the fetus would be affected. The parents are then expected to make a decision about aborting or keeping the child if the fetus does test to be affected by the disease. Also, genetic testing for Down syndrome has also become an available commodity, allowing older women who have a higher risk of conceiving a child with Down syndrome to screen their fetus for this disease and again make a decision in regards to the fate of their child.

What do you think? Is it ethical to conduct such tests? If you knew both parents were heterozygous for a serious condition, would you strongly insist that they test the fetus, given the possibility that they may choose to abort the child if it turns out to be a homozygote for the condition? What if the parents, despite your insistence, refused to perform the test - would you consider them irresponsible for their future child's quality of life? What do you think about the fact that parents may choose to abort a child who will not necessarily suffer from a debilitating disease and die early, but a child who simply doesn't meet their expectations, such as a child with Down syndrome? Some of these children are high functioning and able to support themselves and lead a rather fulfilling life. Also, do you believe that conducting such tests and aborting "undesirable" fetuses implies that children with, say, Down syndrome are "incomplete" members of the society whose fate is entirely at their parents' mercy? What if another family was ready to gladly adopt this child and the child would have had a loving family and lived a life as productive as his or her condition could afford?

Guest muchdutch

I think it is ethical to perform this testing but the dilemma arises as to where do you draw the line? Like you said Jochi regarding the Down syndrome case - these children can be high functioning, but what if the parents choose to abort just because this child doesn't fit into their expectations?

However, I can definitely see that the testing would be crucial in the determination of life for a child with serious diseases that have life-long sometimes painful consequences for both the parents AND the child (ex - DEB).

But again, where do you draw the line as to what is considered 'desireable'? Down syndrome, cerabral palsy, something even more serious and debilitating? And this brings up the possibility of gender-linked diseases. What if it was possible to know (it may be and I just am unaware) if your fetus is heterozygous for a serious sex-linked disease that is only expressed in that gender - do you abort and try again for the opposite gender?

So many questions....

Archived