Premed 101 Forums

Number of OOP offers?

If everyone is in the same pool post-interview, why do only about 1/5 of OOP interviewees get in compared to 40% ish overall? There has to be some kind of post interview quota.

It's not that they don't get in, it's that they choose to go to other schools. They are very competitive applicants in their home provinces so they are likely to get offers from other schools closer to home as well.

It's not that they don't get in, it's that they choose to go to other schools. They are very competitive applicants in their home provinces so they are likely to get offers from other schools closer to home as well.

Ah.. So that goes back to my original question then. So more than the 11 registered out of the 55 OOP interviewees are offered a spot.

Ah.. So that goes back to my original question then. So more than the 11 registered out of the 55 OOP interviewees are offered a spot.

Yup. The difference between Mac and Calgary is that Calgary has a cap on the number of OOP spots in the class so they could choose a lower ranked IP over a higher ranked OOP if all the OOP spots are filled.

Mac doesn't distinguish so they could make initial offers to all 55 OOP if they were ranked high enough and in terms of waitlist movement they will select the next applicant in rank order regardless of IP/OPP status.

Yup. The difference between Mac and Calgary is that Calgary has a cap on the number of OOP spots in the class so they could choose a lower ranked IP over a higher ranked OOP if all the OOP spots are filled.

Mac doesn't distinguish so they could make initial offers to all 55 OOP if they were ranked high enough and in terms of waitlist movement they will select the next applicant in rank order regardless of IP/OPP status.

Good to know, thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it seems like they do all the OOPs together, does anyone know what reason this could be for?

The pessimist in me wants to think that they put them all together on purpose to try and only have to offer a fraction of the invites to OOPs - since the MMI is a ranked process, there will always be some OOPs that rank higher than others if they're in the same round.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? lol

Could you clarify what you meant by this statement?

I heard of a few OOPs on this board that interviewed on the first Saturday.

I (an IP applicant) interviewed on Sunday and of the 12 members of my group, had 3-4 OOP interviewees in my group. So I believe that they are (more or less) distributed.

Based on previous years Mac knows that OOP are more likely to attend other schools even if offered acceptance and are therefor not worried about a large OOP portion of the class. Because of this Mac feels comfortable making an offer to a higher ranked OOP than a lesser IP.

Calgary caps their spots but frequently doesn't use all their OOP spots. People preferrer to stay close to home and med schools know this.

Archived