Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Medical Officer Training Program?

Evening ladies and gents,

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to drop this. But I figured I would ask about it. As it is now, I'm a BScN student, but I'm a bit torn up about what to do after I graduate. Part of me just wants to work. Part of me wants to put in the two years of work and apply to a NP program. And part of me remembers child dreams about being an MD and wants to apply to that after I'm done.

Lately the last couple of years though I've been thinking about signing up with the Forces after I'm all done of my education - but only presuming I do become an MD. I'm not interested in being a Nursing Officer.

So I was wondering if anyone hear had experiences with the program? A couple of quick questions:

- I assume you have to be accepted at a med school before you apply for the Medical Officer Training Program? The Forces doesn't have spots reserved/run any eduction programs themselves right?

- How long would you be in after you graduate? One year of tuition for one year of service right?

- What's it like?

Evening ladies and gents,

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to drop this. But I figured I would ask about it. As it is now, I'm a BScN student, but I'm a bit torn up about what to do after I graduate. Part of me just wants to work. Part of me wants to put in the two years of work and apply to a NP program. And part of me remembers child dreams about being an MD and wants to apply to that after I'm done.

Lately the last couple of years though I've been thinking about signing up with the Forces after I'm all done of my education - but only presuming I do become an MD. I'm not interested in being a Nursing Officer.

So I was wondering if anyone hear had experiences with the program? A couple of quick questions:

- I assume you have to be accepted at a med school before you apply for the Medical Officer Training Program? The Forces doesn't have spots reserved/run any eduction programs themselves right?

- How long would you be in after you graduate? One year of tuition for one year of service right?

- What's it like?

1) The route in is a) get accepted to med B) apply to the forces. There are no spots on reserve and depending on the year it can be very competitive to get picked up as an MO.

2) You owe them 5 years as a family doc, meaning you have no choice but chose family med as your specialty. You used to be able to take a second specialty after that time but from what I have heard that is no longer the case.

3) It sucks, it's the Canadian army which is going through massive downsizing and budget cuts for the foreseeable future. If you are serious about this go American, you might get to go somewhere that isn't ALERT or a leaky frigate.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=882388#post882388

Archived