Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I have a question for those who got an acceptance e-mail! Were you guys given a deadline date to accept your offer, and if so, when is it? I'm on the wait list and curious as to when we get to find out if we might be extended an offer or not.

The email states that the official offer of admission will be sent out "within four weeks" (after approval by UBC Graduate Studies - all the technicalities, I'm assuming). Afterwards I believe there's roughly two weeks to accept. I remember reading a post here saying that the window to accept was pretty short (about 1-2 weeks), which is where I got that number from. I could be wrong though. Hope that helps!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In terms of the waitlist, I have two friends that are in the UBC MOT program this year that got accepted off of the waitlist from 2013... they were #11 and #13 and #13 said he was the last one accepted. They were both out of province students. Of course it varies from year to year and depends on how many people decline their offers!

When did your friends get their letter of offer from last year? I am #13 this year and crossing fingers there is a lot of movement! Congrats to those who got in!

The email states that the official offer of admission will be sent out "within four weeks" (after approval by UBC Graduate Studies - all the technicalities, I'm assuming). Afterwards I believe there's roughly two weeks to accept. I remember reading a post here saying that the window to accept was pretty short (about 1-2 weeks), which is where I got that number from. I could be wrong though. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the information! I only applied to UBC this year as it's my first round of applications and wouldn't mind the year off if I didn't make it. But being wait listed still sucks. Thanks again!

When did your friends get their letter of offer from last year? I am #13 this year and crossing fingers there is a lot of movement! Congrats to those who got in!

#11 got her offer in June, #13 got his offer in the middle of august... From what I've heard if someone drops out in the first two weeks of September they offer their spot to someone on the wait list as well so unfortunately it can be pretty late and unpredictable :(

The official offer will come in the next four weeks, and then I think we have 2 weeks to accept. I will be accepting for sure. There is bound to be movement though, fingers crossed for those of you on the wait list!

And if by chance you don't get in, the year off can be a great opportunity to build more experience! This was my second time applying, and it was probably the best thing for me that I had a bit more time to learn more about the profession and gain more experience beforehand. Best of luck :)

The official offer will come in the next four weeks, and then I think we have 2 weeks to accept. I will be accepting for sure. There is bound to be movement though, fingers crossed for those of you on the wait list!

And if by chance you don't get in, the year off can be a great opportunity to build more experience! This was my second time applying, and it was probably the best thing for me that I had a bit more time to learn more about the profession and gain more experience beforehand. Best of luck :)

Thank you! May I ask the specifics of what you did during that year off to better your chances this year? What do you think gave you that extra edge this time around? :)

Hi MOTatUBChopeful,

I am wondering if you could share what you learned after you did not get in the first time and what you did to improve your chances for the second time. Congratulations on the acceptance!

Thank you! May I ask the specifics of what you did during that year off to better your chances this year? What do you think gave you that extra edge this time around? :)

When I found out I hadn't got in last year I quit my job at as a server and found work in employment services. The position I have now has given me the opportunity to work closely with local service providers and gain experience assessing, referring, and supporting clients. I also have built relationships with a few OT's in my community, and speaking semi-regularly with them really re-affirmed my desire to pursue a career in the field. The time away from school also permitted me to pay off some debt, and have a bit of a 'real life' - which has been wonderful :)

This time around, I was fairly confident in my interview answers about why I wanted to be an OT, and I knew what I had been doing to prepare myself to become one. I do feel though that the strength of my application lies in my relevant experience, statement of intent, and my letters of reference.

I will be 30 soon and really don't feel that 'old'- so don't feel like this is the only opportunity you have to get in to school (though my fingers are crossed for you!) . Enjoy the time off, but be sure you're building experience - either through volunteering or employment - that's relevant to where you want to go. I hope this is helpful!

Congratulations to everyone who went through this rigorous process- regardless of your acceptance or not- the caliber of people invited for interviews was high and everyone should be proud to have made it that far.

I just received my acceptance letter a few days ago! Anyhow, for those of us who will be together for the 2014 intake I thought it might be nice to pre-emptively get to know each other and was wondering if there might be interest in creating some socializing events closer to September? Cheers everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who went through this rigorous process- regardless of your acceptance or not- the caliber of people invited for interviews was high and everyone should be proud to have made it that far.

I just received my acceptance letter a few days ago! Anyhow, for those of us who will be together for the 2014 intake I thought it might be nice to pre-emptively get to know each other and was wondering if there might be interest in creating some socializing events closer to September? Cheers everyone!

Sounds like a fabulous idea. Absolutely interested. I live here now and have been a Vancouver resident for the past 9 years so I'm happy to answer any questions about the city or UBC in general for those who are coming from elsewhere.

When I found out I hadn't got in last year I quit my job at as a server and found work in employment services. The position I have now has given me the opportunity to work closely with local service providers and gain experience assessing, referring, and supporting clients. I also have built relationships with a few OT's in my community, and speaking semi-regularly with them really re-affirmed my desire to pursue a career in the field. The time away from school also permitted me to pay off some debt, and have a bit of a 'real life' - which has been wonderful :)

This time around, I was fairly confident in my interview answers about why I wanted to be an OT, and I knew what I had been doing to prepare myself to become one. I do feel though that the strength of my application lies in my relevant experience, statement of intent, and my letters of reference.

I will be 30 soon and really don't feel that 'old'- so don't feel like this is the only opportunity you have to get in to school (though my fingers are crossed for you!) . Enjoy the time off, but be sure you're building experience - either through volunteering or employment - that's relevant to where you want to go. I hope this is helpful!

Hi MOTatUBChopeful,

Did you get waitlisted for your first time around applying to UBC? I am wondering if I should wait one year to apply again at UBC or accept the other schools for this year. I am not sure if I will be successful if I apply to UBC again next year...but UBC is still my first choice.

Social events would be a fabulous idea. Should we make a Facebook group page?

Hi c_nautili

One of my friends was in your position last year and she accepted her offer for another university since UBC is very competitive and she didn't want to risk it. she said what if I don't get into UBC and the other one next year. also she said why waste a year when she can study the same thing in a similar university and be done in 2 years instead of waiting for another year. and she is very happy with her decision. I hope this helps. GOOD LUUUCK

I think a facebook page is a wonderful idea! I've created a fb page under the name "MOT students at UBC 2014" for those interested. At the very least it can get the ball rolling! Looking forward to meeting you. Cheers!

Hi MOTstudent_K, I hope you don't mind but I recreated your page as a group so we can keep it private. And we can see who is in the group, when it's a like we don't know whose in it. Renaming it to 'MOT students at UBC 2016' though because that's our grad class

Hi MOTstudent_K, I hope you don't mind but I recreated your page as a group so we can keep it private. And we can see who is in the group, when it's a like we don't know whose in it. Renaming it to 'MOT students at UBC 2016' though because that's our grad class

I don't mind at all! Thanks for taking charge! :)

due to my lack of fb knowledge, my question is... how do I find and join a private group? (I thought to make a private group you had to manually add members from your friends list?)

Just search 'MOT students at UBC 2016' and you should be able to see it and press join :)

I tried several times yesterday and today to find the group, typing in "MOT students at UBC 2016" exactly but it doesn't show up. When I searched fb about the issue I learned this:

"If your group is Secret, it can't be found in search by people who aren't members. If your group isn't Secret, you may need to check that the spelling of your group matches how you're spelling it in your search."

The other possibility is that it is just taking some time to actually display the group page?

I tried several times yesterday and today to find the group, typing in "MOT students at UBC 2016" exactly but it doesn't show up. When I searched fb about the issue I learned this:

"If your group is Secret, it can't be found in search by people who aren't members. If your group isn't Secret, you may need to check that the spelling of your group matches how you're spelling it in your search."

The other possibility is that it is just taking some time to actually display the group page?

Sorry MOTStudent_K. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. it's not actually in secret setting. Someone else was able to find it. Tell me if this link works "https://www.facebook.com/groups/240198892830381/"

Thanks and yay! That means I am now number 5! So about 10 get in a year from the wait list?

I think it varies year to year.... It might also depend on who gives up their wait list spot- like number 13 on the waitlist got in last year but it was only because person 12 got into a different school and gave up their spot, so it wasn't actually that 13 people in total got in.

Archived