Guest mdhopeful23

Guest wylie348

Good to know that I am not alone! I usually do this in google:

canada premed forum

and up come the goodies!

The wait will soon be over!

:)

Guest uteng

the forum's kinda like a reality show ... only slower, no fancy graphics or camera angles, no commercials, but the cast is much bigger and you're playing a role in the series. And you can't be voted off the island, be sent home from this leg of the race or whatever other way there is for not continuing. :)

Guest wannabdoc

Hey is anyone in the same position as me.

I am thinking of applying to grad school during this long, unbearable wait to hear back from just one medschool where I was interviewed. I wish I had more interviews this year like some of the others on this board. C'est la vie!

Guest JCUWO

Hey wannabdoc,

I was in your position 2 years ago when I first applied to medical school. I only had one interview (didn't get in) so I decided to apply to a graduate program as a backup. My advice to you is to MAKE SURE you will be happy doing graduate work if medicine doesn't work out this year. Most thesis/research based M.Sc. programs take 2 years to complete, and you have to have the degree completed before you can matriculate at a med school (in Ontario for sure) if/when you reapply. So, once you're in a grad. program, you're in it for the long haul. Make sure you know what is involved-don't just apply/enroll in a grad. program because it will be something to do if you don't get it. I've met a few people who did just this, and are now unhappy with their choice because it isn't what they thought it would be, and they can't reapply/go to med school until the degree is complete. Think it through and make sure it is something that you want to do and something that you will enjoy doing, or it may not be such a good experience in the end.

Guest wannabdoc

hey JCUWO,

thanks for the reply. May I ask which school was that where you applied 2 years ago and didn't get in? Also, did you apply this year? interviews?

My situation is a little different. I have a bachelors degree in biological sciences with 2 years of academic research experience. The problem is that its really hard to find a job with a degree in life sciences as opposed to having an engineering degree. Most of the places require you to have a Masters degree in life sciences so thats why I am doing graduate work. Besides, 2 years is not so bad. I just dont want to work someplace where I don't like working either (i.e. a job not related to my degree) so I rather enhance my qualifications.

Guest JCUWO

I had an interview at Queen's the first time around (March, 2003), but didn't get in. I reapplied again this year, and had only one interview at Western two weeks ago (April 17th).

If you have research experience and enjoy doing research, then a graduate degree is a great idea. I was speaking from the perspective of applying to a graduate program directly out of undergrad, with little research experience. I have met a few people who are doing grad degrees becuase they didn't get into medicine right out of undergrad. Problem is they didn't really know what they were getting into in terms of research work and time committment/management, and are now second guessing their decision. I guess hindsight really is 20/20.

Guest wannabdoc

hey goodluck. Hope your interview went ok. I am praying for everyone to get in who only had one interview. Here's to us walking on a tight rope.

cheers

Guest Braveheart

Great words of advice JCUWO. I was actually put into that situation like you and wannabdoc just last year. Everyone I knew, people who made it into med school and others who were trying, had applied to grad school or were thinking about applying. It was a very hard decision for me to make but I chose not to. JCUWO is right, you definitely need to give it alot of time thinking about whether or not you would enjoy doing grad school for the next 2 years vs doing it only for the reason of boasting your med application. For me, I found more bads than goods in going into grad school which led me to not go through with it (and I am so happy that I didn't as I finally got med school interviews this year... something that I would not have had if I was enrolled in grad school because you have to be in your last year before you apply). Something that you should consider also is when you wrote your last MCAT. Yes 2 years may not seem like a long time, but the MCAT is only good for 4-5 years and so you need to consider how many tries you can apply to med school after completing grad school.... that was something I strongly thought about as I never ever want to write that exam again.>:

Archived