Premed 101 Forums

UWO Dentistry Interview Invites

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest qwertyy

I've been hearing from my acquaintances that are currently attending UWO dentistry that whether you get in or not is pretty much determined by the interview once you get the invitation.

Basically, interview is the "fresh start" for all applicants pretty much - this is what my friends at UWO felt at least.

So I think UWO considers your interviews to be exceptionally more important than anything else.

This kind of makes sense because there's isn't much of a difference between a 88% and a 93% when you do a weighted calculation for the final decision.

Guest gookbbong123

oh wow lol does anyone know if this is an increase from last year?

From a friend who got rejected, the cutoff was 87.00, RC 19.

I've been hearing from my acquaintances that are currently attending UWO dentistry that whether you get in or not is pretty much determined by the interview once you get the invitation.

Basically, interview is the "fresh start" for all applicants pretty much - this is what my friends at UWO felt at least.

So I think UWO considers your interviews to be exceptionally more important than anything else.

This kind of makes sense because there's isn't much of a difference between a 88% and a 93% when you do a weighted calculation for the final decision.

This comment isn't specifically directed towards you, but I don't understand why so many people these days are saying the interview is worth the most when each school clearly publishes their admission calculation online. No one knows how much of a difference 1% is because no one knows the standard deviations of the applicants. If they calculate your score based on standard deviations, which is what mac med does and is in all likelihood what UWO does, there can be a HUGE difference between 88 and 93, especially if the standard deviation is small (between 1 and 2%), which is probably what it is.

To everyone thinking they do 60x0.88 vs. 60x0.93 to differentiate between applicants... cmon.

Invited!

Best 2 yr GPA: 90%

DAT: 23 AA, 22 PAT

In a bit of a predicament though: I already got accepted at UBC, so I am not sure if I am willing to risk my admittance there for a chance at UWO, especially considering the only way to guarantee my seat at UBC is to pay the nonrefundable deposit. I do not know if I am willing to give up that $11k deposit to get admitted at UWO.

Some good news for you all: It is possible I may turn down my invitation (if that's even possible). This means that someone who didn't get an interview may get an interview or that those that are invited for an interview have one less person to compete with. However, as of right now, I am still deciding on what I am going to do.

REJECTED!!!

With a 3.93 GPA and a 28 RC (25AA). Like seriously, WTF!

Last year I got an interview with a 3.81 GPA and 24 RC.

The only possible explanation could be that they deducted a lot of points because my 4th year was not a full course load?

Does anyone know how much they deduct, or have any clue how much of an influence that has? Or has there been a huge mistake, because this was my last hope this year. I didn't apply to the states because I really thought I had a strong chance of getting in this year!

REJECTED!!!

The only possible explanation could be that they deducted a lot of points because my 4th year was not a full course load?

Does anyone know how much they deduct, or have any clue how much of an influence that has? Or has there been a huge mistake, because this was my last hope this year. I didn't apply to the states because I really thought I had a strong chance of getting in this year!

they do deduct a few points for less than full course load, so your 3.93 (assuming for 2 years) is not actually that

REJECTED!!!

was it 9 course or 10 course?

also what's your GPA in %?

Guest qwertyy
REJECTED!!!

what.. this is hard to believe if you're indeed telling the truth

was it 9 course or 10 course?

also what's your GPA in %?

I went to McMaster and we don't have percentage grades - so everything is based on a letter scale. If I did take the midpoint of each letter grade, I would have:

90% (3.91 GPA using my letter grades) in third year with a full course load (10 courses).

91% (3.95 GPA using my letter grades) in fourth year with 8 courses. I know they deduct points if you have a lowered course load, but I also think its important to look at what courses a student took in that year. I had a senior thesis project, that literally took over my life, with 5 other upper year molecular biology classes. I finished a molecular biology specialization which is a lot harder to do then just staying in general life sciences, where you have the freedom to take a lot more easy electives.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I did get an interview last year, with significantly lower grades/scores. It makes no sense.

I went to McMaster and we don't have percentage grades - so everything is based on a letter scale. If I did take the midpoint of each letter grade, I would have:

90% (3.91 GPA using my letter grades) in third year with a full course load (10 courses).

91% (3.95 GPA using my letter grades) in fourth year with 8 courses. I know they deduct points if you have a lowered course load, but I also think its important to look at what courses a student took in that year. I had a senior thesis project, that literally took over my life, with 5 other upper year molecular biology classes. I finished a molecular biology specialization which is a lot harder to do then just staying in general life sciences, where you have the freedom to take a lot more easy electives.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I did get an interview last year, with significantly lower grades/scores. It makes no sense.

8 courses/year killed you in this case. They differentiate ppl with 9 courses from 10 courses but with 8 courses, I know they take out a significant amount of %.

contact them for clarification but I wouldn't be surprised if they said it's because of the light course load.

Many people take senior thesis project with other courses and you cannot make any excuse with that. same with molecular bio specialization.

it was your choice to take the general science route or specialization and I guess by doing molecularbio specialization, you have more options with your career than ppl with just general science. So it's all fair in the end.

What was your percentage in second and first year? They probably used one of those years instead of your fourth year.

Guest qwertyy
What was your percentage in second and first year? They probably used one of those years instead of your fourth year.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'd call them to find out.

Archived