Premed 101 Forums

UofA Organic Chem Class?

Innovo

Anyone here from UofA know what is the correct organic chem class for second year students?

There is one called Chem 164 which says you need to have 90% or higher in Chem 30 to sign up. But it is a 100 level course so I'm not sure.

There is also one called Chem 261 (Organic Chemistry I). It says it's restricted to engineering students. Does that mean it's only for engineering students?

Please help. I did absolutely terrible in high school chemistry (68% if I remember correctly, possibly lower). But did fairly well in my first year uni chem classes (A- and A respectively).

It's 261 and 263 that you would more than likely be taking. I'm not sure why it says only engineering students.

I believe 164 isn't quite so intensive, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Maybe it means that only a limited number of eng students can take it?

Hmm ok that makes a bit more sense.

truthfully, even if U of A doesn't require 261/263 I would recommend taking them. I'm also pretty sure 164 doesn't contain the lab component.

Your high school chem mark won't mean jack anyways. The stuff you cover in high school chem is soooooooooooo barely scratching the surface in comparison to the uni course.

truthfully, even if U of A doesn't require 261/263 I would recommend taking them. I'm also pretty sure 164 doesn't contain the lab component.

Your high school chem mark won't mean jack anyways. The stuff you cover in high school chem is soooooooooooo barely scratching the surface in comparison to the uni course.

I'm def taking O chem regardless because I will be applying to other schools besides Alberta.

Also, I thought high school was a huge joke so I don't like bringing it up lol.

Okay, here is what you need to know....

-Chem 164 is for first year students who want to take all their organic chem in their first year.... Usually chem 101 is a pre-req, but if you have 90% in chem 30, you can take it alongside with chem 101.

164 is the exact same course as 261! In fact, you are in the exact same lectures and labs, it is just called something else. Also, you are all curved within the same 261 class, I.e) no disadvantage for first years!

If you have taken chem 101, then you need to take 261, followed by 263 in winter.

I did 164 this year, and am in 263 right now. Overall, it is very manageable if you study right! I would recommend Lowary for 261, but avoid Stryker for 263 (50% averages:eek: )

If you need anything else let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived