Premed 101 Forums

Question about half courses vs full courses

When various PT schools specify that they look at the equivalent of our last 20 half courses, does "half" mean credit value? For example my university has 3 and 6 credit courses. 3 credit usually spans one semester and 6 credit spans two. So I'd assume 3 credit is a half course and 6 credit is a full course. OR are they specifying the length of the term needed to complete the course? (ex: half courses = any courses that spanned only one semester)

I have the opportunity to take a 6 credit class next year that spans only one semester with the hopes that it can be treated as a full course. I'd rather take one course worth double the number of credits instead of 2 courses both worth 3 credits. Will it be seen as a full credit course? I know it's a weird question but i'd appreciate any clarification. Maybe someone has experienced something similar before.

When various PT schools specify that they look at the equivalent of our last 20 half courses, does "half" mean credit value? For example my university has 3 and 6 credit courses. 3 credit usually spans one semester and 6 credit spans two. So I'd assume 3 credit is a half course and 6 credit is a full course. OR are they specifying the length of the term needed to complete the course? (ex: half courses = any courses that spanned only one semester)

I have the opportunity to take a 6 credit class next year that spans only one semester with the hopes that it can be treated as a full course. I'd rather take one course worth double the number of credits instead of 2 courses both worth 3 credits. Will it be seen as a full credit course? I know it's a weird question but i'd appreciate any clarification. Maybe someone has experienced something similar before.

A one-semester course is typically a "half credit", while a two-semester course would usually be a "full credit" (unless it's a course that's weighted heavier for labwork, more lecture hours, etc.). In your case a 3-credit course would be a half credit, and a 6-credit course would be a full credit. I'm not sure if you go to Mac or not, but I believe this is how McMaster counts credits.

As for your question about taking two 3-credit courses or one 6-credit course, it won't make a difference when the subGPA is calculated. I would recommend the option that you project will give you the higher end grade. This is the case with Ontario OT/PT schools, anyway. Are you applying in Ontario or somewhere else?

A one-semester course is typically a "half credit", while a two-semester course would usually be a "full credit" (unless it's a course that's weighted heavier for labwork, more lecture hours, etc.). In your case a 3-credit course would be a half credit, and a 6-credit course would be a full credit. I'm not sure if you go to Mac or not, but I believe this is how McMaster counts credits.

As for your question about taking two 3-credit courses or one 6-credit course, it won't make a difference when the subGPA is calculated. I would recommend the option that you project will give you the higher end grade. This is the case with Ontario OT/PT schools, anyway. Are you applying in Ontario or somewhere else?

Yes, Ontario (although I'll keep alberta and McGill as options). It's good to know it won't make a difference in GPA calculation. To clarify once again my plan was a fall semester consisting of

3 cred course

3 cred course

3 cred course

6 cred course (condensed into one term)

For a total of 15 credits, which I assume will be considered as equivalent to 5 half courses. I wanted to take less classes but with higher credit weighting in one class to give me less material to handle all at once, since that option would probably help me get the best GPA.

For a total of 15 credits, which I assume will be considered as equivalent to 5 half courses. I wanted to take less classes but with higher credit weighting in one class to give me less material to handle all at once, since that option would probably help me get the best GPA.

Yeah, that GPA calculation will work out the same as it would if you were to take 15 credits via five 3-credit courses. Again though to clarify, I can't speak for McGill, Alberta, or any other out-of-Ontario schools. Best of luck!

Archived