Premed 101 Forums

Pathology prgrm UofT

Howdie,

Just wondering if Pathology residents could help answer some of my questions regarding AP program at UofT.

I am trying to set up electives, and I have 4 weeks dedicated to path and the other 10 weeks divided among surgical, medical subspecialties. My 4 weeks are in dermpath and surge path, and I am wondering if this is sufficient to make me competitive for UofT?Also i am an applicant coming from a very productive research background and previous work in histo etc to support my interest.

I am also very interested in the program in Toronto. Does anyone have any suggestions where to do electives?

Do one at Sunnybrook if you can arrange an elective with the PD.

St. Mike's would also be very good as an elective.

If you have any interest in forensics, they have an awesome new facility in TO with great staff.

Try to avoid UHN as a med student.

Overall pathology is not competitive, especially in the last couple of years. Toronto is variably competitive depending on the number and caliber of genuine applicants. Some years it is not competitive at all. I say genuine applicants because many people on the interview circuit are backing up with path.

Two electives are more than sufficient if you can explain your interest in path in a convincing manner (and it sounds like you can with your research experience). Three says you are definitely serious. People in pathology recognize that many come to path by process of elimination and generally do not begrudge applicants who explore other areas.

If you are considering programs outside of Toronto (and/or Vancouver), do an elective at another school. Some of the smaller schools will question your willingness to go outside of Toronto and/or Vancouver.

JoshH: it is not necessary to do a rotation with the PD who does dermpath, which is a senior rotation. You don't need to put in "face time" with the PD - that kind of culture doesn't exist in the program. Certain rotations will put you in contact with staff who have an interest in education and would be able to give you an enthusiastic recommendation; this includes current and former hospital site directors. I think St. Mike's and the gyne group at Sunnybrook fit the bill, as well as the forensics group if you are interested in that area. It is also easier to apply your clinical knowledge on these rotations since most people don't have a lot of clinical derm experience.

Overall pathology is not competitive, especially in the last couple of years. Toronto is variably competitive depending on the number and caliber of genuine applicants. Some years it is not competitive at all. I say genuine applicants because many people on the interview circuit are backing up with path.

Two electives are more than sufficient if you can explain your interest in path in a convincing manner (and it sounds like you can with your research experience). Three says you are definitely serious. People in pathology recognize that many come to path by process of elimination and generally do not begrudge applicants who explore other areas.

If you are considering programs outside of Toronto (and/or Vancouver), do an elective at another school. Some of the smaller schools will question your willingness to go outside of Toronto and/or Vancouver.

[

I agree. Pathology is not competitive. Showing some interest seems to be sufficient. I think most programs realize that most students use pathology as a backup.

• 1 month later...

As a former AP resident from Toronto, I have no clue how they make their decisions. Rotating with people on the committee, whoever they are, is most important. They are at all different hospitals, including those mentioned above. When I applied, my elective was at Mt Sinai.

To be more competitive at non-Toronto AP programs, I encourage you to do electives elsewhere.

Anyways, I am simply reconfirming what has already been said. Good luck!

Archived