Premed 101 Forums

UofC or UofA?

Which school will you pick?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which school will you pick?

• UofC
    • UofA

• 4 weeks later...
I heard that U of A is better if you don't know what you want to do because you have an extra summer since it is a 4 year program to explore whereas if you go to U of C you have less time to explore what specialty you want to go into since it is 3 years.

Maybe that is why U of C requests the applicants not to apply until completing a degree - 3 year program. Good to know.

If I had already finished my degree before applying, Calgary for sure! However, if I get accepted this cycle, I would choose Alberta as the year wouldn't make a difference. School wise, both seemed great; however, U of A's class seems really tight (like one big family)....

City wise, I like Calgary A LOT better (warmer (chinooks), more things to do, more lively)...

On the other hand, U of A's campus wins by a LONG SHOT.. (Katz, ECHA, and Med Sci are all gorgeous buildings!)

I think U of A would be my choice simply because of the longer program. I think that, especially because I'm young, that it would be extremely helpful to have that extra year of med school, and the summers, to think about and explore the different areas of medicine before I make a decision about what I would like to do for the rest of my career.

....however, both schools were awesome on interview day. Hard choice for sure.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I had to choose between U of A and U of C this year, and I made a pretty comprehensive excel sheet comparing the two (attached here)! This was created from many conversations with students (past and present) from both schools and with attending physicians, a  look at each program's curriculum and stats, and the personal factors (e.g. friends and family) that I had to consider. Both schools are overall FANTASTIC and you won't go wrong with your choice if you trust your gut! I'm hoping this will help other people who have to make this decision, just keep in mind that what may be a pro for me might be a con for you and vice versa--it truly all depends on what you value. Good luck! :)

UofA vs UofC.xlsx

On 4/15/2014 at 12:16 PM, Renoir said:

Calgary purely based on my desire to go into family. However, the rural residency program at the U of A is very attractive. They almost had me swayed the other way in the U of A interviews. :)

Why would you chose UoC for family? Are they highly regardedcfor their GP residency?

26 minutes ago, N_Ward said:

Why would you chose UoC for family? Are they highly regardedcfor their GP residency?

Teaching is very patient-based and the program is renowned for producing students that are excellent at effective communication. Aside from that, if you're aiming for a less-competitive residency (and have a decent idea what you might want to go into fo residency), a 3-year program is a good fit, while 4-year programs may be more for people gunning for ophtho/derm/surgery or people who would like the extra year to develop their interests in a specific field.