Premed 101 Forums

Specialties that require research to match

What are the specialties that more or less require research experience during med school to match into? ROAD, ENT, Plastics...any others?

I know there have been past threads about this but I'm wondering if the landscape has changed at all since then. Thanks!

With the higher medical school enrollment and no proportional increases in residency, the list would probably extend to most of the specialties.

Highly variable with location too. During a conversation with the PD of IM at U of T, they prefer candidates with some background in research.

With the higher medical school enrollment and no proportional increases in residency, the list would probably extend to most of the specialties.

Highly variable with location too. During a conversation with the PD of IM at U of T, they prefer candidates with some background in research.

From what I've been able to tell, most programs (aside from maybe Family Med) prefer candidates with some research experience. Whether that preference is meaningful seems to depend on the competitiveness of the specialty/program. Obviously if 10 people apply for 10 spots, it's not going to matter how much research experience you have - but if that number shoots up to 15 people, suddenly every extra point in your favour matters.

Archived