Premed 101 Forums

May 13th countdown thread!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First time applying to meds, finishing up MSc. can't wait for this 13th to come !!! All the best everyone.

What are the chances of being accepted as a SWOMEN?

Pretty good. But I do know of some that didn't make it. But you have a really good chance.

I am in London, and it's pretty nice here. But this week is going by really slow. I heard we should be expecting an email at 9am on the 13th like other years. I don't know if I would sleep the night before. Probably binge on Star Trek

So out of curiosity I looked into previous year posts of accepted/waitlisted. And it seems that swomen that tend to have Mcat cut offs usually end up being waitlisted. I am doubting if they have some preference for swomen, apart from lower Mcat for consideration.

I have a 32 Mcat (11,10,11)(just meeting cut offs), 3.87 GPA. Interview went well I think. But I'm beginning to think that this school weighs Mcat and gpa more than interview. Does anyone feel the same? Or tell me if I am wrong... ?

But I'm beginning to think that this school weighs Mcat and gpa more than interview. Does anyone feel the same? Or tell me if I am wrong... ?

Somebody told me, and take this with as much salt as you like, that the formula is 25/25/50 for MCAT, GPA, and interview score. Regardless of the formula, it's pretty obvious that Western cares most about the MCAT out of all the Ontario schools.

So out of curiosity I looked into previous year posts of accepted/waitlisted. And it seems that swomen that tend to have Mcat cut offs usually end up being waitlisted. I am doubting if they have some preference for swomen, apart from lower Mcat for consideration.

I have a 32 Mcat (11,10,11)(just meeting cut offs), 3.87 GPA. Interview went well I think. But I'm beginning to think that this school weighs Mcat and gpa more than interview. Does anyone feel the same? Or tell me if I am wrong... ?

Do you mean SWOMENs whose score just meets the cutoff?

Do you mean SWOMENs whose score just meets the cutoff?

Yea. There is a conception I feel that if you are Swomen you are golden, but I think it may simply be leniency for them to be eligible to apply nothing else. From the past posts it seems a lot of swomen simply got normal waitlisted even though they claimed to have a good interview.

I know premed101 may not be a perfect population sample, but it has me thinking. Lol

I may be wrong and they do give swomen high preference? But doesn't seem like it from past posts..

Somebody told me, and take this with as much salt as you like, that the formula is 25/25/50 for MCAT, GPA, and interview score. Regardless of the formula, it's pretty obvious that Western cares most about the MCAT out of all the Ontario schools.

Regarding the 25/25/50, it makes sense. It seems quite obvious that Mcat plays a huge role considering people that were accepted right away most of them had above cut off mcats...

Oh well. Nothing can be done now just positive thinking and hope for the best I guess..

Yea. There is a conception I feel that if you are Swomen you are golden

As a SWOMEN applicant, I hope there's some truth to it. :P I have a few friends who got in last year and I believe their MCATs were at the cutoff, not 100% certain though. My MCAT is a few points above the cutoff anyways, though, so I wouldn't be terribly uncomfortable either way.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2012.pdf

This is a dean's report linked a while ago in this forum. There's probably a more recent version floating around somewhere, but in the end it shows 94 of 98 Swomen applicants invited to interview were offered a spot, almost certainly higher than the non-Swomen acceptance rate.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2012.pdf

This is a dean's report linked a while ago in this forum. There's probably a more recent version floating around somewhere, but in the end it shows 94 of 98 Swomen applicants invited to interview were offered a spot, almost certainly higher than the non-Swomen acceptance rate.

Keep in mind that previous years had a lower (although still high - 70-75%) rate of admission offers to SWOMEN candidates. There may have been a change in the admission formula or it may have just been an outlier - we don't know because the admission formula has never been released. Last year's statistics for my class (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2013.pdf) seem to match the earlier 70-75% rate, so I'd bet my money on the 2012 incoming class being an outlier.

There does seem to be a SWOMEN preference, and interviews definitely do matter. Past that, it's all speculation.

Even though the SWOMEN offer rate was lower, the overall SWOMEN class members and class percentage were higher (74 vs 65 and 43% vs 38%): perhaps there is some set quota of SWOMEN students they accept (at a minimum, obviously accepting additional if they are competitive with the general pool)?

This would explain the higher offer rate in 2012 since fewer applied and more rejected their offers...

EDIT: it seems this may be the case (2011 also had a similar number of SWOMEN class members although there were more applicants https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2011.pdf).

Question: Does Western send out Scholarship offers with the acceptance offers like U of T? Or are they awarded later on in the process?

"Recipients will be offered these scholarships along with an offer of admission from Schulich Medicine. In the event of a late offer, exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis." (quote from letter sent in email with subject: Notification about Schulich Scholarship & Bursary Availability)

Based on the wording of the letter, it seems this is for only the Schulich Scholarship, though. Not sure about the other awards/bursaries.

"Recipients will be offered these scholarships along with an offer of admission from Schulich Medicine. In the event of a late offer, exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis." (quote from letter sent in email with subject: Notification about Schulich Scholarship & Bursary Availability)

Based on the wording of the letter, it seems this is for only the Schulich Scholarship, though. Not sure about the other awards/bursaries.

Thanks! :)

Archived