Premed 101 Forums

I was wondering whether UofT really just uses the MCAT to flag applicants or if it goes into the assessment.

I don't recall seeing anyone on the Interview thread getting an interview with a 9 in any of the section, let alone 9's on all the section.

Does anyone have any input in this?

I was wondering whether UofT really just uses the MCAT to flag applicants or if it goes into the assessment.

I don't recall seeing anyone on the Interview thread getting an interview with a 9 in any of the section, let alone 9's on all the section.

I personally know a few people with 9s that got interviews. They use it purely as a way of flagging applicants.

I had an interview with a 9 in Verbal.

I was thinking of reapplying once more to UofT with my current MCAT (my wGPA when I apply next year will be 3.92), and if I get rejected, I'll rewrite the 2015 MCAT. But if the 9/9/9 does lower my chances for UofT, should I rewrite this year?

They specifically state on the UofT website that MCAT is used as a flag only, that is, once you meet the 9/9/9 mark it's no longer counter toward your applicant score.

I meant for this year's application round. I got a 9/9/9 and was banking on getting an interview for UofT (which I didn't). My wGPA when I applied this year was 3.88, so it's lower than last year's accepted GPA (3.92), and by the looks of it from the posts on the interview thread, MUCH lower than the people who got an interview this year. So I don't know if my MCAT may have factored into my rejection or not (along with my EC's, essays, and GPA).

I was thinking of reapplying once more to UofT with my current MCAT (my wGPA when I apply next year will be 3.92), and if I get rejected, I'll rewrite the 2015 MCAT. But if the 9/9/9 does lower my chances for UofT, should I rewrite this year?

With 9/9/9 you dont have a chance at queens or western... you could consider rewriting so that you can apply to more schools.

This is the problem with grade inflation. And I will be the first to admit that my own 4.0 probably couldn't have occurred in the past, and is the result of some pretty slack marking at Western.

How can a person with a GPA >3.85 only muster a 9/9/9?? Seriously? By taking bird courses or scamming the system or going to a university where everyone is given inflated grades.

My opinion anyways.

To the person with a 9/9/9 - honestly retake the darn test and get a decent score. Toronto used to have cutoffs of 8/8/8 - who knows if they may raise the flag to 10/10/10 or something similar.

Anyways...my somewhat unsolicited 2 cents...

This is the problem with grade inflation. And I will be the first to admit that my own 4.0 probably couldn't have occurred in the past, and is the result of some pretty slack marking at Western.

How can a person with a GPA >3.85 only muster a 9/9/9?? Seriously? By taking bird courses or scamming the system or going to a university where everyone is given inflated grades.

My opinion anyways.

To the person with a 9/9/9 - honestly retake the darn test and get a decent score. Toronto used to have cutoffs of 8/8/8 - who knows if they may raise the flag to 10/10/10 or something similar.

Everyone's different I guess. I was a lot more nervous the night before my MCAT than I do when I go in to write an exam. I also do much better in written exams rather than M/C exams, and that's not because it's easier to argue for marks (cause I do well enough where a bump in my mark doesn't make much of a difference since I already have 90+).

Also, my cGPA is a low 3.8. It's only after applying UofT's weighting formula that my wGPA becomes 3.9+

I guess the main problem is that I don't really know how to study effectively for the MCAT. I know 9/9/9 is pretty low, but if it's good enough for at least one school, I'd rather just keep it for now than to write it again and risk getting an even lower score.

Everyone's different I guess. I was a lot more nervous the night before my MCAT than I do when I go in to write an exam. I also do much better in written exams rather than M/C exams, and that's not because it's easier to argue for marks (cause I do well enough where a bump in my mark doesn't make much of a difference since I already have 90+).

Also, my cGPA is a low 3.8. It's only after applying UofT's weighting formula that my wGPA becomes 3.9+

I guess the main problem is that I don't really know how to study effectively for the MCAT. I know 9/9/9 is pretty low, but if it's good enough for at least one school, I'd rather just keep it for now than to write it again and risk getting an even lower score.

You look like you're in good shape, man. If you keep plugging away I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. To be honest, a 9 isn't horrible and you can almost certainly bump up each section to the double digits with a little more studying (and less panicking on the night before test day). I got 12 on both science sections, and that was after months of relearning the fundamental science material (it'd been nearly 10 years since seeing some of that stuff) and doing all of The Princeton Review's practice problems. I had no idea where to begin with studying, but TPR's books really gave me the structured learning I needed, and If I can break 10 then anyone can :P

Anyway, If I were you I would book another test date and just study/do problems until then. It's only the beginning of May, so you've got lots of time to work toward a better score.

Edit: Oh also -- if you're not confident in your GPA for any other universities then there should be no reason to rewrite since I'm sure that UofT won't just up their MCAT requirements one year before the new MCAT format comes out. I would only rewrite if you're considering applying to other schools (which it look like you would have a decent shot at with your GPA).

Archived