Premed 101 Forums

Confidentiality agreement

I've been thinking about posting this for some time but I got distracted with exams.

After my interview at Mac, I was in class and there was a group of people sitting next to me (within earshot) one person in the group was discussing the interview in detail to 2 premed students (giving them the detailed question stems, and how they responded to the questions).

I know that this is probably common practice among some friends but this person was just blabbing it without any concern of being overheard. There's no real point to this I'm just sort of venting - I wish medical schools could see the daily behaviour of students :(

I've been thinking about posting this for some time but I got distracted with exams.

After my interview at Mac, I was in class and there was a group of people sitting next to me (within earshot) one person in the group was discussing the interview in detail to 2 premed students (giving them the detailed question stems, and how they responded to the questions).

I know that this is probably common practice among some friends but this person was just blabbing it without any concern of being overheard. There's no real point to this I'm just sort of venting - I wish medical schools could see the daily behaviour of students :(

I think this would make an excellent MMI station... what could you have done in this case? ;)

the orginal MMI studies suggested even having the questions in advance didn't actually help you. I am sure they also change them up pretty regularly as well.

Calgary spoke to this as well, and didn't even bother getting us to sign confidentiality agreements (although they did ask that we not spread the questions like wildfire).

I've heard that they did a study where (select) questions asked at Calgary were repeated two weeks later at Alberta one year, and students who went through the same questions ended up with very similar scores.

Calgary spoke to this as well, and didn't even bother getting us to sign confidentiality agreements (although they did ask that we not spread the questions like wildfire).

I've heard that they did a study where (select) questions asked at Calgary were repeated two weeks later at Alberta one year, and students who went through the same questions ended up with very similar scores.

Yeah, but the students in the study didn't know the question would be repeated. I think the point of the confidentiality agreement is to mainly curtail sharing answers with applicants in the same cycle. For example, if no agreement was in place I am sure someone interviewing on one of the first days would write all the questions right after and sell them. If we all knew what the questions would be in advance and be able to practice just for those questions we would definitely do better

I heard that the questions changed between interview days. Using the exact same questions for each of the 3 days doesn't seem like the best idea for exactly the reason you said since there were a couple questions were extra time to prepare would have helped.

The part about future candidates having an advantage doesn't bother me- there are hundreds of practice scenarios available online that are pretty good anyways - what bothers me is the complete lack of professionalism, if I were a member of the admissions committee and I saw a candidate blabbing to their colleagues I would not give them admission. It saddens me to know that this person might get in over someone who demonstrates better judgement

The part about future candidates having an advantage doesn't bother me- there are hundreds of practice scenarios available online that are pretty good anyways - what bothers me is the complete lack of professionalism, if I were a member of the admissions committee and I saw a candidate blabbing to their colleagues I would not give them admission. It saddens me to know that this person might get in over someone who demonstrates better judgement

Well , while it's bad judgement it's hardly egregious behavior. It's nowhere near as close as disclosing patient information -- that does happen.

Archived