Premed 101 Forums

Nac Osce

Hi

I was wondering can someone say more about this NAC OSCE exam. I applied this year for CARMS but unfortunately didn't match so I will try again next year, it seems like all programs in Ontario will demand this exam for application. How difficult is it, any additional reources for preparation, etc.

I'm an IMG so i was hoping this will make my application stronger in other programs too. Btw are there any IMGs with NAC OSCE an MCCEE that were unmatched, I mean are the chances for successful match higher with both, or you need to be very lucky as well. Thanks.

Hi

I was wondering can someone say more about this NAC OSCE exam. I applied this year for CARMS but unfortunately didn't match so I will try again next year, it seems like all programs in Ontario will demand this exam for application. How difficult is it, any additional reources for preparation, etc.

I'm an IMG so i was hoping this will make my application stronger in other programs too. Btw are there any IMGs with NAC OSCE an MCCEE that were unmatched, I mean are the chances for successful match higher with both, or you need to be very lucky as well. Thanks.

I have the MCCEE, NACOSCE, MCCQE1 and MCCQE2 and didn't receive a single interview lol and if you're wondering I'm a 2010 grad and did the last three exams over the course of a couple of months. But my reason for not getting any interviews was applying narrowly to small number of programs without a backup. Lesson learnt I guess.

The NAC OSCE is a typical osce style exam. Its based on clinical encounters with standardized patients for which you will be scored by an examiner using preset rating scales. If you are familiar with step 2 CS itll be relatively easy for you. Scoring well on this exam depends on what your current skills are. I think the most important is language, most IMG's have trouble communicating properly because they don't have complete command over english. The next is being familiar with the western style of conducting a medical interview and looking at things like involving the patient in decision making, listening, empathy etc. The last and least important is your knowledge. Most of the cases are generic and its only testing how you approach a station rather than your knowledge in getting to a specific diagnosis. You can use any step 2 CS book, or the NAC OSCE book available on amazon. If you have never done any exam like this before try to practice with someone who has given the exam before or take the IMG courses that are offered. There are a couple in Toronto but they cost quite alot. The only people I'd recommend the course to are people who are older graduates, have language difficulties and people who have never attempted an OSCE style exam before. If you need any specific information feel free to post again in this thread.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm taking the NAC OSCE this year and would like to know if we have to know the doses of the drugs prescribed for the various conditions?

Thanks

Nope not really. They have removed the therapeutics section though. Thats now incorporated into the post encounter questions.

Archived