Premed 101 Forums

Why medicine?

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

Bear with me on this one.

I'm a first time applicant and up until I received my interview invite at Ottawa (still waiting for news from Mac) I had never heard of this site or even thought about preparing for my interviews...

BTW - Kudos to Ian and all the moderators! You guys are doing a fantastic job! This is a really valuable tool for interviewees. :D

So, getting back to my question:

Why medicine?

I've heard that this question comes up quite often.

I have thought about how I could respond and believed that my answer was solid.

Then someone added: why become a doctor and not a nurse?

I'm stumped. :rolleyes

Any insight?

FrenchyMed

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This is a highly personal response and not necessarily one best answered by other folks. To illuminate your own reasons for choosing medicine, however, you could start off by comparing the two occupations and figuring out the differences between them. List these differences and then identify the occupational characteristics that appeal or don't appeal to you for both. (Presumably you know a few of these differences, since that may be what is swaying you towards medicine.)

Everyone may have different reasons for choosing medicine over nursing, or vice versa, for that matter. These reasons are only increased by the fact that there are so many different types of occupational sub-categories within medicine itself, e.g., surgery, administration, consulting, hospital/private practice, research...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds05

This is a sure fire question... maybe not the part about why not a nurse, but at Ottawa you will definitely get "why Medicine/doctor?" this is a question that i am not comfortable posting an answer for. I think that we all want to do medicine for different and completely personal reasons. I think that you should spend a lot of time on this question but unfortunately i can't help you out on it. I wouldn't worry about though... there is no real right or wrong answers though, but I think how genuine you are is what makes the difference.

Guest kellyl20

Kirsteen: I would be really surprise if you did not get into med this year. You are logical, uses your common sense and probably very good with the GPA thing and also have the hand holding skills as well. Any med school will be so lucky to have you. BTW, just out of curiousity, have you applied to MAC at all or just to the more traditional schools.

Guest Kirsteen

Och, thanks for the shot in the arm, Kelly120:)

It's timely, as like many around here, it's tough not to feel the nip of meds-related stress when the interview invitations and rejections are floating around the mailbox. :rolleyes

I'd love to be part of one of the many Canadian med school communities, but I wish (don't we all!) that it were a little simple to implement some actions from those words. Sure, I seem to have a pantry well-stocked with broad and worldly experiences, accompanied by a very good to excellent recent academic performance and topped off by an acceptable set of MCAT scores, but accompanying those is a big bit of an albatross. Unfortunately, I was a bit of a monkey's bum when I took my first steps into university (16 years ago--ack!) and my academic records from back then reflect that a little too well. I could make umpteen excuses for it, but it's generally a futile course of action. As such, my old record haunts me during many an admissions process. (Hence, my reason for not applying to Mac.)

The recourse that I've had recently is to leave my former work and really concentrate on what I want to do. So I'm hoping that after completing the B.Sc., MBA and soon-to-be M.Sc. with a hugely strong finish, someone will eventually be convinced that I'm a little less of a monkey's bum now and would actually do okay in their medical school.

If you have applied this year, do you mind if I ask, to where? Have you heard any good news yet?

Cheers, best of luck, and ta again,

Kirsteen

Guest FrenchyMed

Wow Kirsteen!

Your bio is incredible.

Your albatross reference went over my head though. Must be the fact that I'm a Francophone...

I sometimes wonder how I got this far as I feel pretty ordinary compared to people on this site:

My undergrad GPA is somewhere around 3.7-3.8.

No MCATs.

Some, but not tons, of volunteer work.

To top it all off, I'm an engineer (M.Eng) currently working as a Public Servant!

I'm hoping my contagious laughter and all around charm gets me into Med school. :b

Good Luck on your interviews! I'm sure you'll make an excellent physician!..

FrenchyMed

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there FrenchyMed,

Thanks much! (By the way, the "albatross" is from some analogy to burden or weight. I'd be interested in knowing the background as I really don't know its origin.) In any case, it's neat to hear of some other, different sets of experiences of co-applicants around here. It's quite amazing to hear what people have done with their time.

As to engineering, no worries! Two of my pals made it into UT meds as engineers, both of whom had Masters degrees in the discipline. To where did you apply this year? Ottawa? Mac? Any word from Ottawa for you yet?

Cheers and best of luck,

Kirsteen

Guest kellyl20

Wow, I am impressed by your string of degrees Kirsteen.

I have not applied as yet but wanted to get other people's perspective on the different med schools. Have siblings in both med and dent; they have no previous degrees. In comparison, it appears that you have done way more than they did. The outstanding thing re them is strong leadership and a string of scholarships and other awards which I guess reflects back to their GPA and extra-curricular involvement.

Did the "albatross" thing started with the Ancient Mariner or was the origin of the meaning from somewhere else?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi kelly120,

(A little off topic!) I know the albatross appeared in Coleridge's poem, but he didn't appear to use the same analogy. There must be a dictionary of analogies out there!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jmh2005

FrenchyMed,

The answer to this question is highly individual...but to avoid the question "why not be a nurse, PT, OT, SLP, SW" you need to realize that there are many unique things in medicine that really, no other profession in the world does...

What is it in medicine that draws you to it, vs. another health care profession?? Because if you "want to help people" you can do that in any number of professions...

To me, this is all about what makes medicine so unique and so amazing...This was my very first question in my Mac interview...afterall, I was one of those health care profession switchers...

Good luck to all!

Guest doctorfunk

I can see how one's response to this question could encompass the entire time alloted for the interview. What kind of approach should you take in answering this question? Should you give an overall, big picture, summary statement, or go elaborately into specific events/activities?

Guest sally2001

kirsteen,

i just wanted to add that i'm a bit disappointed that you didn't get interviews at ottawa u and calgary (as i gathered from skimming through those forums). i hardly know you but i think you sound like a great candidate and i hope you do get through this year!!! have you applied to queens? while the cut-offs might not be a snap to attain, they might consider your application differently since you have (almost) two masters...

all the best!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there sally2001,

Thank you for your support.

You know, when it comes to meds applications I'm generally hesitant to talk about my own woes in great detail as I don't know that folks would like to experience the e-equivalent of Dr. Phil! ;) I think it's largely a matter of my old history that drags me down--generally, I feel that I'm in decent shape in the other departments as I've always been very active and interested in the environs, and my extra-curriculars reflect that naturally.

Gads, I've been tottering back and forth as to whether to ask this here, but I know that many pre-meds folks are a smart, imaginative and invigorating bunch of people from whom I think I can learn a new approach. So here goes: if you were in my shoes (carrying this old (dating back to '87), grotty academic history) and accumulating years of good academic performance, can you think of any neat ways or plans of attack to ultimately succeed in the admissions process with respect to academics? By no means am I sitting on my laurels in this regard and simply being a lazy bum with respect to sniffing out the options, as I feel I've investigated quite a few, but it would be great to hear some of your insights and perhaps a new stone will be turned? :) (I sincerely hope this Kirsteen-centric feedback won't too dull for everyone else--if nothing else, perhaps others can learn from what I've been/going through.)

As to Queen's, although I made their Verbal cut-off in previous years, I didn't make it this year. :\ D'oh! I don't think they make any exceptions...? Perhaps they'd consider my GMAT??!!

Righto, on to it, but thanks again,

Kirsteen

Guest strider2004

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. When sailors go out to sea, they obviously have to ration food quite well. Albatrosses have quite a range and are quite seaworthy so sailors can often see them fly alongside their ships. However, it's bad luck for kill an albatross.

In times of desperation and hunger, a sailor might kill and try to eat the albatross. If your sailormates find out though...ohh...you'll be in trouble! You have to hang the albatross around your neck as punishment.

So, that's where the albatross thing comes in. It's a burden/punishment for bad behavior.

Guest macdaddyeh

Kirsteen:

I'm trying to keep this quick note within the framework of the post, but I just saw your note that it's a not-go for Queens, Ottawa, Calgary.

Kirsteen, I thought you were a shoe in! For that reason, I wanted to drop you a line and say hang in there. As far as I'm concerned you've been sadly overlooked in a very competitive process:\ .

You're a solid candidate, and I hope you make it to one of the other schools. Judging from your previous posts, you are a very articulate individual..Have you heard from U of T?

Guest Dannyboy

Kirsteen, I think it is safe to say that there is enormous support for your efforts. You have gone so far above and beyond assisting the people using this board--you have been an inspiration and that is a something few can ever claim to be.

You have given so much to others over the last few months (and I would venture to say that this dates back much further than that but I can only attest to the last few months). Absolutely--let's help YOU.

To do this, I hestitate to ask for details--I am sorry to do this since it is really inappropriate to ask about specifics (like you GPA)--but it is required if we are to offer some constructive input. Would you mind giving us a detailed outline of yourself? I wouldn't ask you to reveal your auto sketches on the forum but it might be helpful sometime down the line if we had a look at them. If you show me yours, I'll show you mine...

If I am one thing it is a creative problem solver but I need to know your situation so I can offer advice. I am a strategy queen.

I've only applied to one school and I haven't been notified of my status so perhaps I should not offer advice. I have had success with other very competitive appl procedures and I would venture to say that I've done very well in school--I know the game and I play it well. I know that too often very qualified applicants find it difficult to highlight their strong points and sometimes it takes an impartial outsider to spot the weak areas and to bring out the many attributes of people such as yourself. I really screwed up with Mac appl--e.g. I did not list research I had done or past volunteer experiences. Hello! Stupido. I was in some wierd modesty--I didn't do those things just for my CV--stage. So funny.

You still have to hear from Mac right? Is there another school you haven't heard from yet? If it makes you feel any better I've recently met one of my personal heros and I assumed he got into med school after one shot (he is BRIILLIANT) but it took him *nine* tries. He just had no luck but he didn't give up.

Anywazzzzzzz, let's help you get into med school....

P.S. I meant to mention that if you aren't comfortable providing details on the forum than feel free to email me--it can be done if you are a member (from what I gather) but if this proves to be a problem let me know and alternative plans can be made. Especially regarding the auto, it is obviously inappropriate to post it on the forum.

Guest sally2001

hey kirsteen,

let me see if i something i spew forth might trigger some ideas of your own. as dannyboy posted, we are somewhat limited of your autobio sketch, but let's see what i can pull together:

since you met the ottawa u requirements, you have a wgpa > 3.3 and a masters avg > 3.9. clearly you are a contender bc i think i read somewhere that you got a conditional acceptance to ubc last year. although you started university in '87, i'm assuming you haven't been enrolled since 87, so i don't think you would have to worry about low grades in the beginning as long as your three years are over the min requirements, and if it's over a B+ (as ottawa u requires, that's pretty good!!!)

- if you're overall avg isn't too far below the 3.0 for Mac, you could continue in your epi field and take correspondence courses in whatever interests you to pull up your cgpa - ie i'm sure you'd do great in writing courses etc

- if you finish the M.Sc and maybe start a part-time Ph.D while working in the epi field you could keep applying to toronto because they seem to be very focussed on research and the more papers you have in a specific area might give you a great rep as an "expert" in that field. plus a Ph.D with a great track record might just open a career for you in teaching/being a professor if that interests you at all

- you could go back for a 2nd undergrad (this option doesn't really appeal to me, in my case)

- maybe consider schools outside canada (again, not an appealing option for me)

hmm.. i'm still limited in my overall understanding of meds admissions.. i'll post more if anything comes to mind.

best of luck to you!!! :D

Guest Dannyboy

I should have read your early posts--I am in the middle of school work now so can only get to the forum in minute-allotments.

so, you didn't apply to Mac? I don't understand, why not? Having a grad degree doesn't make a difference with my appl but it would be crucial to yours. If the different weighing wouldn't work to your advantage (I'll assume you already know how the grad work gets factored in) then you can indicate on the appl that an aspect of your past performance is not indicative of your present performance or your potential???

Also, are you in ep? At U of T? We might know each other (ya never know).....

Guest peachy

If you've got the cash available, why not apply to American schools? The top ten, and then also a group that you think you'd like distributed amongst the top 50 or so.

Personally, I think they give an _amazing_ education at some of these schools. They've got the strengths of a top "name-brand" research school, and the money and resources to personalize your education - lots of contact with profs, etc. I can't think of any school in Canada that offers the same opportunities as a Stanford or Yale.

American schools also, I think, tend to have better admissions processes - they look at applicants MUCH more holistically than Canadian schools. They're not going to say "Oh, you don't meet your cutoffs, let's forget about you", rather, they're going to say "Why oh why did you get that X in verbal?" and then give you the opportunity to justify it.

I've got a friend who is an incredible applicant, but for technical reasons somewhat like yours wasn't getting any love from Canadian schools. He's already been accepted to a good American school, and now can wait for the results on this year's Canadian schools with the confidence that whatever happens, he's going to be a doctor.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you all for taking some time to not only respond, but obviously think through some of this with me; I appreciate that very much. Again, I was hesitant to post a call for ideas, but one of my best MBA profs shared a wee tenet with us during our program: "Tell people your dreams, and they will help you make them happen". Truly, believing that I'd exhausted all of my own imaginings, I figured that asking you guys for some help would help, and it has. In response to some particulars:

macdaddyeh: yes, I have heard from UofT (last week) and it was a nay. I do understand that they're quite keen on applicants with research backgrounds as Dean Naylor is a big proponent of medical school graduates who have such experience. As to the particulars of how they go selecting for this, I'm not sure.

Dannyboy: during classes today, I must admit, I was looking around wondering who may be on here and in there! Are you in the M.Sc. Epi. or MH.Sc. programs, or something completely different? If so, I'd love to have a comrade in arms and know who you are! Given that there are not too many Kirsteens roaming around the PHS Dept., I'd be pretty easy to spot. In any case, thank you for your vitality. I'd be happy to swap details and hear more of your "strategy queen" insights--just let me know how. You also asked about applications: I didn't apply to Mac, and I had only UBC to hear from, but I received a negatron from them today, so my opportunities for Sept. '03 are spent.

sally2001: great idea regarding the part-time PhD! I hadn't considered that before. I really do love what I'm doing and think I'm decent at it and so would love to do a little more; however I'd also love to take on some other non-PhD-type projects and the part-time PhD would permit that. One thing that I'm not so sure about though, is the feasibility of applying to meds during 1st or 2nd year of a 3 or 4 year PhD. Isn't that an unwritten no-no? As to one of your other allusions re: out-of-province schools; well, one option I'm seriously considering is a move to B.C. I've adored the west coast for years and feel completely at home there (must be the Scottish upbringing with the hills, the rain...!) and I'm thinking that I'll apply not only to their MD/PhD, but also their PhD program next year. UBC seem to have a rocking Epi. department. Also, with respect to starting another Bachelors, it was never something that really turned my crank as, in order to do so, I'd need to find some subjects that I really love. Last week, however, I uncovered a fabulous little gem of a program that fits the bill as it instructs in a skill set that I've been taking steps to cultivate for a while: the U. Waterloo program in Speech Communication. I've been wishing to hone and working (on the side) towards doing so, my person-to-group communication skills (rhetoric and speech). This little program aims to do just that. A very interesting possibility. So that begs the question: a B.A. (with the a bunch of funky skills at the end and the possibility of finally applying to Western) or a PhD?!! Overall, a big thanks!

peachy: whooo, those U.S. tuitions are not cheap, but interestingly, and to my surprise, a couple of U.S. schools, e.g., Connecticut, have said that my degrees would be looked upon quite favourably. On top of that, when I looked at the Harvard Epi. offerings I could barely keep my chin from thwacking the desk. Gads, what a beautiful program! Although, I really don't know all that much about U.S. programs or application processes, for the first time I think I might give them a go this year. Though, on that U.S. stuff, how the heck to do they go about looking at those multitudes of applications holistically? I understand that they're hotly interested in MCATs (I have a 30-S, would that jive?) but what about graduate degrees and worldly experience? Does that count for much south of the 49th parallel? Also, how would they view my crapula experience in the '80's? Is there a chance that they'd overlook it a little? Saluting Phil Hartman's caveman lawyer, "... their world frightens and confuses me" (well, not frightens so much, but confuses--oh yeh!). I've a bunch of other U.S.-type questions, but I think I'll direct those towards the U.S. forum here.

The one other option that I'm considering--a hulking GROAAAAN!!--is to write the MCAT one more time and see if I can finally get at least a ten in each category. :x Every year it seems that verbal reasoning or physical sciences decides which of them will take a turn to be nine, neither ever wishing to link arms with the other in the ten department. Ack!!! By doing so, however, I think I've got a happy shot at both, Queen's and Dal--well, at least, ceterus paribus, I'd make it past their MCAT cut-offs for once!

Once again, thank you all so much for providing input; I so immensely appreciate it. :D ...and of course, in the course of all the grand things that will hopefully come about for you guys this spring, if you happen to come up with any more, please zip 'em over, as I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Dannyboy

hey there. I'm not in the epi program but I have taken a number of PHS courses (I am in law) and I know a # of epi students. I looked over the list of my classmates names and you, unfortunately, are not on it. You are at U o T, right? I am definitely in the med buildings on Weds and Thurs but I can arrange to meet you in that area another time if you want to hook up some day and chat. I still don't understand the Mac sitch but you've probably outlined it previously so I don't want you to re-do your efforts. I think a research focus is crucial for medicine--I personally think volunteer work is invaluable but you can also benefit others greatly by conducting important research. I can understand why you want to continue with it. Anyho, just let me know what you'd like to do. Later

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Dannyboy,

Cheers for your note.

On the volunteering, I've done a fair bit--three-and-a-bit years and counting of sexual and reproductive health counseling. I've also done more on a sport-related and fundraising front. I don't think I'd want to do more just for the sake of padding my application as if I didn't enjoy it, I either wouldn't want to stick with it nor would be too thrilled to be using some of my time towards it.

I'd be happy to hook up for a chat. You could always private message me to get the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sally2001

kirsteen,

you may be right about applying during the ph.d. i do remember seeing the mcmaster stats of the accepted class breakdown and i think a number of ppl had been accepted w/out finish the masters and ph.d. but you're right, other schools might require a different policy. then again, you might possibly be able to undertake a ph.d. and then get an agreement with your supervisor to allow you to "defer" finishing the ph.d until after the md if you get in in the meantime. i think that could be possible esp in SUCH a medicine related field like epidemiology.

hey - the mcat isn't that bad. just think of it as a surmountable hurdle that you WILL overcome. i think 30 is a great score but i get the feeling that to wow the US schools you need 12's, or at least the higher the better. but what do i know, i have yet to right the mcat.. however i've registered for this april so we'll see how it goes....

best of luck to you! you deserve it and i'm sure you'll achieve great things!!! :)

Guest macdaddyeh

Kirsteen:

Don't torture yourself by redoing the MCAT. Although I have not (yet) written it, I don't suggest it. A score of 30 is VERY good as far as I am concerned.....I know, I know, easy for me to say.:P

I have been so proud to say that I share this forum with such a positive, articulate, well-informed and well-rounded candidate.

Use this time to reflect and build upon your plan of attack for next year. First, APPLY TO MAC!!!!!! Second, Northern Med School will also open an option for next year!

For reasons you posted, I too do not suggest you apply to the States. Finally, I know you are still waiting on UBC (I think) so here's hoping!

We're here for you......Group hug:)

Guest thelaze

Kirsteen,

If a couple of points on the MCAT are holding you back I think you should DEFINITELY take it again. Yes it's crappy, it's months of studying followed by one looong day of testing, but think of it this way, those months will go by anyway, whether you write it or not, and at the end of April or August you can either have accomplished something really hard and really great that helps you out next year or be in the same place you are now.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I think where you are now is a great place to be, you clearly deserve to go to med school. But it's because you're so great that I think you shouldn't let one or two points get in the way of what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Go for it!

Archived