Premed 101 Forums

Ethical- embryos from IVF

Guest nav29

Guest nav29

Hi,

"If you specialize in providing reproductive technologies to patients, and a research company approaches you and asks if they can have your left over embryos, do you give them?"

I thought this was an interesting question (my friend received it at a U.S. interview), considering the increasing emergence of reproductive techologies in health care. My answer would probably center around determining whether the couple agrees to donate the embryos. I feel the ultimate decision would be theirs. Any thoughts?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Some new Canadian legislation recently came down which restricts, and in some cases, prohibits the manipulation of embryos. Here is one article announcing the introduction of the new bill, but there are plenty of others out there that go into greater detail, i.e., describe the specific policies. You might want to have a read of those. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Hi!

here is another website that details legistlation that outlines ethical/legal issues surrounding use of embryos. I think in a situation like this, one would want to assess what the legal issues are surrounding the matter. They also would want to probably contact the persons who contributed to the creation of the embryo or examine what type of consent they gave for use of the embryos. It is my understanding that, given consent, some fertility labs have done research on embryos in order to increase success rates and this is legal. I do not think that it's legal, under current legislation, to give these embryos, created for the purpose of producing a child, to research labs for undisclosed use.

It is always important when answering these questions to state what you know about the subject as well as your opinion on the matter.

hope this helps :)

mydream88

Archived