Premed 101 Forums

Research for programs like IM

Hi,

I am seeking some advice on research and it's importance for CaRMS applications to IM. I apply to CaRMS this year and have not done research in medical school. I did some Ecology and Molecular Bio research in undergrad. It seems that IM has become more competitive over the past few years and I am very worried about my chances. I am not backing up with another specialty. Do you think the lack of research will make my application sub-par? Any other advice as I step closer to application time?

Thank you for your help.

Did you apply broad?

If you want Internal no matter where, then there is a good chance NOSM or Saskatchewan will catch you. They are the schools that tend to have less competition and even have spots left over after Round 1.

If you are "I-will-not-step-out-of-Ontario-no-matter-what", then your chances are not very good. Schools such as UofT and McMaster etc are really keen on discussing research.

EDIT:

As to advice, it is tough given how close it is to deadline. You could try to associate yourself with some projects, if you encounter nice attendings during your rotations. However, be prepared to explain yourself during your interview, e.g. "why the blank stretch and then suddenly so many research projects in the last year".

It is true that internal medicine has gotten more competitive over the past few years (despite a questionable job market for many specialties). During my round, having research and publications was a definite plus. Pretty much everybody I know who got interviewed and accepted into UofT IM had a publication.

Having no research during med school in your intended field will probably make it hard to match to a more competitive site. However, strong electives, extra-curriculars, and reference letters will certainly count for a lot.

Job market is terrible for basically all specialties, so that doesn't make IM less attractive. What makes it better than the rest is the ability to do general IM either as a career (demand is very high), or as something to hold you over until the job market in your subspecialty improves.

Hi,

I am seeking some advice on research and it's importance for CaRMS applications to IM. I apply to CaRMS this year and have not done research in medical school. I did some Ecology and Molecular Bio research in undergrad. It seems that IM has become more competitive over the past few years and I am very worried about my chances. I am not backing up with another specialty. Do you think the lack of research will make my application sub-par? Any other advice as I step closer to application time?

Thank you for your help.

It helps but is not essential to have research. Programs are mostly interested in your work ethic, what you're like to work with, and your performance on core and elective rotations. Have you been involved in any interest groups or other projects in med school? It suffices merely to have been busy and productive, even if that doesn't mean any actual research or publications. I didn't have any real research per se, but did present a poster at an international conference, which I guess is something, but I'm pretty sure it was a very minor point in my applications if it mattered at all.

You're quite right that IM has become more competitive, but you shouldn't have any trouble if you apply as broadly as possible. The golden rule of applying to any specialty, but especially those that are competitive (or have a lot of specifically competitive programs as IM does), is that you have to be willing to move. But you needn't necessarily move that far away. I'm not at an especially competitive program (though we fill every year), but I still interviewed at some competitive spots - and so can you!

The bottom line is that you should focus on being a strong clerk in your core rotations and a stronger elective clerk in your electives. And there's still time to get an interesting case report or case series finished and submitted - possibly even accepted! I'd recommend mentioning that you're interested in doing a case report to any staff or residents you know or are working with. There will still be conferences coming up that you could attend too.

A-Stark is an internal resident. That's a good person to ask directly.

:o Hah, at least an adequate person...

Archived