Premed 101 Forums

Mock 2: What do you think about the Iraq situation?

Guest MayFlower1

Guest sassy101

I agree BIochem.....my plan is to avoid this issue ( if possible ) during an interview. I have noticed that those who support the war are older and they are not very willing to change their minds. I will give my opinion in an interview if asked but hope ( rather pray ) that it won't be discussed much. I think that war is rarely the answer to any problem and although I don't know the Iraq situation inside and out, I still fail to see how anyone can become ' safe ' from terrorism because of it.

To devomcd:

From the Webster dictionary

Fascims:

a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Fascism is a regimen that encourages violent control of people that oppose you. If anything I think that this is more likely to reflect the US policies (not US citizens because with their 20% vote rate, they do not have much of a say with regards to their government). US polices(should I say Bush's policies?) seem to reflect the believe they are somewhat supperior and should be able to use force to get what they want.

BTW there have been both left and right fascist regimens

On the left and fascist = Stalin

On the right and fascist = Franco in Spain, Pinoche in Argentina, I would argue Hitler in Germany

Guest stargirl

sassy101 - you can run, but you can't hide...i have my doubts that any of us will be able to avoid the issue at the interviews...last year, i was asked if i followed the news...yada yada - i said yes and discussed a few issues that interested me...it was right in the middle of the Israel-Palestine conflict...i figured if I steered the interview away from the issue that it wouldn't come up...oh what a foolish naive lass i was...it transpired sort of like this..."yes, uh huh, yes those are very timely issues...so...how would you solve the middle east crisis?" okay, not quite like that but i felt like a deer caught in the headlights...so anyway, i'm just saying be prepared...hope for the best...prepare for the worst...hopefully these "mocks" will help get us through

Guest stargirl

koggetsu - it was at u of o - they seem to be big on ethical questions and issues in the news so i would bank on getting at least one or two...i don't remember my exact response - i was a bit stunned at the time so it's kind of a blur - i'll have to open up the archives of my brain and get back to you...

i think though, that unless the issue is pretty cut and dried that they really do want you to take a side - i don't think that they care exactly which side you take so long as you can give them your opinion and back it up...it's just my own personal hypothesis - i'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this...

Guest sally2001

stargirl,

i've also heard that you never want to be caught sitting on the proverbial "fence" when answering a question. however, in the case of the israel-palestine conflict, it's been going on for the better part of the last century. personally, i'd avoid getting caught up in rhetoric and stuff like "give peace a chance", "stop suicide bombings", "stop building illegal settlements" etc etc because the issues run far far deeper than what's made the news yesterday.

also, i think if one had constructive suggestions, it would be far more useful than justifying the extremist actions on either side. i would advocate a fair, 2-state solution, under the careful eye of international observers, along with a call for an immediate ceasefire that would call for economic sanctions if either side violated it.

maybe that's too simple minded for a practical solution, but i'd certainly love to see world peace.

Guest macdaddyeh

Despite the debate surrounding this topic, Do you actually think that interviewers would ask such a politically charged question? Does anyone have experience with answering such questions in a former med school interview?

In other words, politics and religion are two very controversial questions that could even be deemed to be discriminatory on the part of the interviewer. It is VERY difficult to be the subjective recipient of information you firmly disagree with. My dentist, as a Zionist, is a FIRM and strong supporter of Bush. If I told him that Bush was the actual terrorist he would probably drill an extra hold in my mouth.

In fact, unless the questions are asked in a roundabout way, I imagine that from a legal standpoint, asking such a question may even be questionable legally.

I can foresee maybe an interviewer asking "What current event in the news are you most interested in?" vs. asking you what I personally think about war. In a similar vein, if the interview team wants to guage your stance on abortion, they might ask, "How do you think your values might affect your clinical decision making?

Maybe some interviewers are reading this site.......:rolleyes

Be ready for those kind of charged questions. As far as I know types of questions that have been asked (at least in the U of O interview)include:

What do you think of the Israel-Palestinian conflict?

How would you solve the crisis in the Middle-East

I really don't think that they care about what your answer is (well, unless your answer is they should all be gased and the problem could be stoped :b ). What they want to know is if you keep up with the news, if you have interests outside of science and medicine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OT5er

Hi, I am an interviewer for UofT this year, and we were advised to aviod this issue. Hope that helps! Although it doesn't guarentee anything! - Good Luck

Guest peachy

Lol 0T5'er. That explains something... I was asked in my U of T interview "If you had a plane ticket for anywhere, where would you go?" and I said I'd go to Israel, and then I got all worried that they would ask me about the situation, since it would have been natural at that point in the conversation. But they didn't. :)

Guest doctorfunk

I was asked directly for my views on the Iraq situation at my UofO interview this past weekend.

They used an experience in my sketch that was political science-related to lead into it.

In addition, I attempted to present the conflict from a number of different perspectives (US, UN, Iraq, France, Canada), but in the end, I was continuously prodded to take a stance.

To tell you the truth, I felt mildly uncomfortable talking about it.. but oh well.

Guest MayFlower1

doctorfunk,

I'm not surprised this one came up at all...I'm actually somewhat surprised to hear OT5er say they were told to avoid it...I wonder on what grounds this was suggested? I personally think that issues which are SO controversial like this really bring out who a person is...

That being said...I'm hoping it doesn't come up at my interview on Friday :lol

Peter

P.S. It sounds like your answer was amazing...giving all the different positions shows you are quite thoughtful and tend to look at the big picture...from what I've heard this is always a good approach.

Guest doctorfunk

Mayflower,

I think that looking at the situation from multiple perspectives is the key. That way, although you are forced to take a stance in the end, they are able to realize that you have thought about the situation extensively from a variety of viewpoints.

Another thing:

Everybody should not hesitate to take as much time as they need before beginning to respond to the question. This will allow you to clearly reflect and gather your thoughts, and set out a rough plan of delivery. I must admit, sometimes I start off well, but then find myself heading in a direction which I had not intended to...

Guest macdaddyeh

I know I've posted before on this topic, but I would like to know who has actually got this as an interview question. To me it is absolutely ethically, morally, professionally off limits. I'm not arab, but would they dare ask this question to a muslim arab (maybe even of Iraqi descent)--doubt it!

I would have no qualms saying to the adcom:

"Thank you for the question, but I really don't think such an emotionally and politically charged question is relevant or appropriate for this sesssion."

Would that get me blacklisted? I don't think so! This is not an admissions committee interview for a Masters program in international law or international relations or poli sci or ethics for that matter!

Bottomline, we DO need to keep abreast of current events and their importance. If adcoms dare ask a question about the war, I most likely see if being in a VERY roundabout way!

As I stated before, I could see them asking "What current event are you most shocked or upset with" or "What role do medical personnel have in possible wars" etc.

But to forwardly ask what one thinks about war, is like asking do you believe in abortion, what religion do you profess or what is your cup size: definitely off-limits in my opinion unless YOU yourself bring it up at which point it becomes fair game!

Guest OT5er

Just for clarification we were told that the topic is political and that the interview is not about their view about politics or world views...there are sooo many other questions that are more relevant, just as controversial, and would give a better indication of who the candidate is. Like I said above, we were told that the middle east, and the pending war, were off limits...again that doesn't guarentee anything. Also I just wanted to say that if someone had said what macdaddyeh said I would respect that and move on...but keep in mind I am only one interviewer and others may not share my opinion

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Guest thelaze

Just to answer your question macdaddyeh, I was asked at Queen's what my thoughts were on the situation in Iraq, and then pressed into discussing what my concerns might be should the US invade. I was somewhat taken aback as I thought for sure that anything to do with the Middle East would be too controversial/politically charged to ask.

The faculty member seemed really interested in my answers (she was the one who asked all of the Iraq-related question), and luckily for me I've been following the issue pretty closely - but still I felt nervous saying anything that might offend the interviewers. In my fevered, neurotic mind I was thinking "hey, the community member looks kind of conservative, I'd better be careful not say anything like Bush is a corrupt vigilante out to conquer the world or anything" ;)

Anyway, despite the fact that I think I gave well-reasoned if sort of careful answers (careful in the sense of being unoffensive and thus somewhat generalized and safe), I still feel like it was kind of inappropriate to ask me point blank about Iraq. I can see it being legitimate if I brought up the topic first, but it left me with a weird feeling afterward to have been pressed into talking about it.

Guest grandmellon

I really don't like it when people say the US war against Iraq is just about oil! How the heck do you know that?!?! Are you part of their budgeting team... I mean seriously. All the information we get is from the media, who like to create conflict because it gives them something to report about and increases their ratings! I don't believe this war is about oil...

i believe it is about democracy and giving people the right to be free. Now this is my stance on why a war should take place... but I know that this is probably not why the USA would chose war... but if it was done on those grounds I say GO RIGHT AHEAD.

I had a huge change in my opinion recently because I read an article about all the sad things which happen to civilians during war... that is very sad. But we must also remember how many things happen in Iraq by their own president. I heard a story about one of his nuclear scientists who risked his life to get his family out of the country. ( he had to sell everything and bribe a border guard to get out) And now he is a refuge in US.

anyways... thats all i have to say...

I really dont know if there sh ould be a war because I DONT KNOW THE REAL FACTS!!! the media is giving us all kinds of crap.:eek

Archived