Premed 101 Forums

Thank You Notes/Cards

Guest benjibert

Guest benjibert

Hi all fellow med admission seekers,

I had my interviews in January and they all went well. However, I came across a site lately on med interview prep and they strongly recommend sending interviewers a thank-you card afterwards. I don't have reservations in thanking my interviewers as they both were nice and accommodating and I enjoyed talking to them. Yet it's been almost a month after and I am not sure if I should do so now. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this issue? I doubt if the interviewers would demand that they get something in the mail to show us interviewees' appreciation for their time in order to recommend us for med school. Has any of you done that?

Any inout is welcome.

Ben

Guest UWOMED2005

I didn't after my interviews. I'm not sure how I could have - I didn't really have their contact info. I don't think most applicants send cards - it's a nice gesture, but not a necessity.

Guest Ian Wong

I'm going to move this out of the UBC forum into the Interviews forum... :)

Sending thank you cards is strictly optional; it's not something that is going to make or break you. Assuming that the interviewers finish writing down their assessment of you soon after the interview concludes, it's also unlikely that sending a card a week or so later is going to have any effect on your evaluation.

For that reason, if you send them, it should be because you genuinely want to thank the interviewers. I think the appropriate window in which to send a thank you is within the first week after, or at the most two weeks.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DrSahsi

I got a thank you card from a student who I interviewed one year. I can assure you that it makes absolutely no difference to your chances -- positive or negative -- as by the time they get your card your assessment has already been filed away. I was surprised, and I thought it was a nice gesture, but overall entirely unnecessary.

You've got to watch the line between sincere appreciation and appearing to brown-nose.

- Rupinder

Archived