Premed 101 Forums

Matching into peds

• 2 weeks later...

Peds is pretty competitive in recent years. If they can sense from your elective schedule that you are on the fence, you will get cut. Family medicine is also no longer a guaranteed safety net, especially if you have gone all-in for peds with no electives in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine.

Usually each school has a minimum requirement for the number of specialties for your elective, so you can't truly go "all in". This each school understands.

With this in mind, you can get away with 2-3 blocks of electives in your "backup" specialty. If you want to backup with family, do a block of family, a block of emerg, and a block of psych or something to that effect. This way, when you going for peds, it doesn't look terribly suspicious. And should your peds endeavour flop, at least you have something to persuade the people in family medicine that you have some interest.

I don't know, my friend. This past year makes it look like family medicine is not very safe as a backup.

Just as an aside...

Family is still a safe back up. Which speciality has such a numerous array of spots with such match stats? I don't know where this notion of family is not a backup comes from... Sure, it is slightly more competitive over the past two cycles. But nothing I would get alarmed about. Back up with family if you want. It probably won't harm you if you treat it as a true back up to your primary choice. Do electives in your main choice. Use post-carms electives for FM if you so desire. Heck, I would be surprised if you didn't land a bunch of interviews in FM without anything beyond your core FM rotation. FM still is and always will be as easy as it gets.

Archived