Premed 101 Forums

What did you wear to your interview?

Guest AD16

Guest therealcrackers

Actually, I wore a blazer, dark coloured shirt, tie, good pair of dark pants and matching shoes. That way I had the option of removing the jacket if the room was hot (and it was) and still looked presentable.

As it turns out, replace the jacket with a sweater, and it's what most of our class now wears when we go on clinical placements (unless we need to wear scrubs).

CLOTHES!!!! (Clothes really do make the man....I think a naked person would have little chance of impressing the interviewers.... :lol )

Why are you worrying about this now???? It is still months before you will even know if you need to worry about interview clothes! There is no defined 'interview' outfit that you need to get. Wear something presentable and appropriate to the occasion. You do not need to go and buy something specific. Simple rule: don't come in a ball gown or tux, don't come in jeans and t-shirt. Anything that fits in the middle of those two extremes will do! Be well groomed and be comfortable in what you are wearing. I wore a long navy blue skirt and a blue dress shirt (both of which I owned long before I got an interview invite). There was lots of variation in what people were wearing, from business suits to pants and a sweater, to just about anything else that fits within the guidelines of the previously mentioned simple rule.....DON'T WORRY!!! Make sure that YOU are comfortable with what you are wearing. If you don't like wearing a tie, don't. One of my friends got into all five Ontario schools and waitlisted at McGill as an OOP student and didn't wear a tie to a single interview. In contrast, a female friend wore a black skirt suit to every interview she attended and didn't get into all of the schools she wanted. Clothing (assuming that it is reasonable) will not make or break your interview.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, forgetting pants can be mildly embarrassing. Unless you're wearing a skirt. And even that might not be appropriate depending on who you are (personally, I'm not sure how an interview committee would have responded if I personally had worn a skirt. . . that of course is because I'm a guy. :) )

I wore a dark suit, solid shirt and tie. And dress shoes.

Really, 95% of the time it won't matter - most of the interviewers aren't going to be swayed by your dress unless it's obviously out of place (jeans, megadeath t-shirt, pink loetards). Guys should wear at least to the level of a dress shirt and slacks with nice shoes. A tie is probably preferable, and to be safe I'd say a dark suit with a nice shirt and tie really would hit the spot. But don't bother going out and spending $800 on a new suit at Harry Rosen as the person in the suit is more important than the suit itself.

Not sure how to translate that into suggestions for the other sex.

Guest Tanya24

Timmy, and put your garbage in a GARBAGE CAN, people. I can't stress THAT enough! (Please forgive me, I just couldn't resist. I needed a little stress-reduction.)

With regards to interview clothing, I am currently considering a long brown skirt with a light brown blouse. But I don't want to jinx myself before even getting an interview invite. In the end, I will probably chicken out and wear a black dress suit like everyone else.

DON'T 'chicken out'. Wear what you want to wear NOT what you think is an 'expected interview suit'. I think that a brown skirt and shirt sounds just fine....and it might help you to stand out from the crowd a bit. You are trying to distinguish yourself from everybody else in this process (hence why they have interviews) NOT blend in with the crowd.

Guest Tanya24

Good point. I just don't want to appear as a rebel who "didn't make the effort to dress professionally". But you're right... now's not the time to blend. Thanks for the good advice!

Just to add to the "survery" - I wore dress pants, a blouse/shirt (with a V-neck), and a jacket. I agree that the jacket is a good idea because that way you can put it on when you're getting the pre-interview chills, or take it off if you get pre-interview hot flashes.

Guest not rex morgan

Before I interviewed, I was told that the interviewers are looking for people they would eventually like to be collegues with. This does include dress, but to a certain extent. Medicine is conservative, so just bear that in mind when you're interviewing. If you are considering wearing what you wore to a club the other night, think again. Just because they are great butt pants doesn't mean they will get you into med school. What people above are suggesting sounds pretty good. Nice pants or skirt, dress shirt, blazer, etc. I wore a navy blue suit. I didn't have anything I felt comfortable wearing in such an interview, so I did go out and buy one. I didn't spend tons of money. I have lots of hair, so I wore it up so it wouldn't distract me. Hope this helps.

I wore a navy blue suit with matching light blue shirt, I went and bought it since I did not have any. Prize wise it was on the less expensive category. I figured I wanted to look conservative as medicine is still a conservative field. I decided that if I was to stand out it would not be through my clothing. But that being said, wear something that makes you feel confortable. If suits are not your thing then as long as you look professional I don't see a problem with that.

Guest therealcrackers

Not only are your interviewers looking at you as a potential future colleague, they are looking at you as someone who will interact with patients a great deal in your clinical years of med school (likely in scrubs, mind you---but wearing scrubs in an interview is an untested hypothesis) and for the rest of your career thereafter. Presenting yourself professionally and in a way that IS presentable to everyone is key. But add whatever touches you need to make you feel like yourself. (Squirting flower and clown nose are optional.)

• 2 months later...
Guest KatieKat

I have a lovely suit to wear to interviews, but can't decide if I should wear a blouse or sleeveless shirt (high-necked) underneath. The blouse is more traditional, but the sleeveless shirt is so much more comfortable underneath! Personally, I also think the sleeveless shirt just looks better. (I don't think I'll be taking my jacket off, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Now, I'm just wondering if anything other than a blouse looks unprofessional. (I've never had to wear a suit before, so I have no idea what I'm doing!) :)

Girls?

Guest ManitobaMed

Underneath the jacket: I traded in my button-up top for a simple stretch T-shirt in one of my interviews. I still scored well. :) If you like the look of the sleeveless top better, I'd say go for it. I seriously overheated in a couple of my interviews but was quite comfy, temperature-wise, in the T-shirt.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi KatieKat,

For my UBC interviews last year I toted a couple of suits, but in lieu of the potentially crinkly, high maintenance shirt option (wrestling with a cantankerous hotel iron was not my idea of a great time) I chose a couple of fine gauge sweaters: one long sleeve and one short. It was nice to have a little flexibility the morning of my interviews; to get up, select and wear something that felt comfy that day.

As to the sleeveless shirt, I don't mean to be gross, but be careful if you're planning on wearing a gray, or other colour suit that is not navy or black. If you perspire a lot (medical school interviews are a prime trigger for this!) you may find that you'll end up with some telltale dark patches under your arms if you don't have the additional sleeve barrier in place. You don't want to divulge too much to the fact that you're just a little tense!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Chieka101

Dark grey pantsuit with a pink blouse. Wore it to my Wayne State interview and felt confident enough. :)

KatieKat, I too vote blouse, and not sleeveless shirt under the suit. I think it looks a little more formal and more put together. Of course, it's all about what you are comfortable with. (Cop-out answer #249 :D )

C.

For my interviews I did the nice lightweight knit top in light blue under a dark blue suit. I had a couple such tops: one had a t-shirt type neck and the other was a raised neck, like half a turtleneck (not sure what the fashion industry technical term for that is.)

It was comfortable and I felt it reflected my real style better than a blouse did, and I was very happy with how I was able to present myself.

Guest kellyl20

MYing: it is a mock turtle:)

I think some people will look good no matter what they wore (appropriate of course) and the rest of us do the best we can with neatness and flattering colours.:D

Hi there,

What do interviewees usually bring to the interview? Do girls and guys bring briefcases? Is it alright for a girl to bring a purse? Should we be bringing documents that support what we've written in our sketch? (e.g. if I wrote that I sketched as a hobby, do I need to bring in my portfolio?) :)

Thanks everyone!

Guest therealcrackers

JS28: that will depend on what school you are interviewing at; Western, for example, will have no information about you other than your name, and any relevant details about yourself will come out in the interview. Bringing supporting documentation raises some strange possibilities about what people could choose to bring; the idea is to come across as someone who will be competent and comfortable as a physician, whom the faculty and student interviewers feel they could work with as a colleague or the community members would feel comfortable with as their physician. Bringing extra supporting material takes away from the idea of the interview. If there's something that you especially want to do for them, perhaps bring some sketch materials (although I would ask others to comment on this as well); but most of the rooms will have at least a blackboard in them. If the interviewers have access to your autobiographical materials, and they are intrigued, they might (I don't know this for a fact, so don't quote me on it) have materials available for you.

Guest mumfirst

I'm a rider and made mention of that in my autobio and sketch - should I bring one of my horses? :rollin :rollin :rollin

Just kidding. JS28, I don't think that I would bring sketching material. If they didn't believe that you actually did that then I would assume that they would have checked with your verifier. Perhaps, if you choose to carry a purse then you might want to throw some paper and pencils in (if they are the materials you use). Then, if the opportunity comes up during the interview (eg. at Mac they will have your "since 16 years sketch" so they might ask you what types of things you enjoy drawing), then you could offer to quickly throw something together for them (depending on the mood of the interview).

Just my 2 cents.:)

Guest UOMeds05

HI JS28,

In the few years that i have been involved in interviews at University of Ottawa (both as an applicant, and now as a student), many people choose to bring a purse (girls) and both sometimes bring a briefcase/folder. You may want a purse for whatever reason, but I see no real need have the briefcase/folder.

All the interviewer will have (at Ottawa) is your list of what you've done since whatever age. they often comment on some of the things in it, but in my experience it is always on the most obscure thing. It is never a challenge though... often just "that's interesting. Tell me about whatever..." There really is no time in the interview that they would ask you to start proving things in your sketch. I have seen students in the past bring all these supporting documents, even some that were really eager to flash them around. I don't know what kind of impression that left with the interviewers, but let me tell you, it was REALLY negative amongst us the med students that were watching. I found it looked very pretencious... I would hate to lead you the wrong way, but is my opinion that an interviewer would NEVER ask you to "prove" anything that you have written. Although they may be intrigued and ask you to talk about whatever.

As I've mentioned in other forums, it really is quite relaxed and basically just an opportunity for you to talk and share a bit about yourself. Hope this helped...

Best of luck to you.

Archived