Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do reference letter-wise. I have two great references lined up: my research PI who knows me very well and can easily comment on work ethic, reliability, etc., and a physician who I've shadowed and has made several positive comments about my patient interaction, etc. The problem is that I'm not sure how well either could comment on me academically, since MUN "prefers" an academic reference. Have any past applicants run into any problems without having an academic reference? Should I try to get another reference, even if it's from a prof who probably wouldn't even remember me?

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do reference letter-wise. I have two great references lined up: my research PI who knows me very well and can easily comment on work ethic, reliability, etc., and a physician who I've shadowed and has made several positive comments about my patient interaction, etc. The problem is that I'm not sure how well either could comment on me academically, since MUN "prefers" an academic reference. Have any past applicants run into any problems without having an academic reference? Should I try to get another reference, even if it's from a prof who probably wouldn't even remember me?

Honestly, I don't think there is some official unwritten rule that says you HAVE to have one academic reference. That's just usually what most people tend to have. If I were you, I would probably get a reference from someone who knows you well and can comment on other important things versus just asking a prof who doesn't know you well (because you will then end up with a generic letter with little 'extra'). Plus, your grades on your transcript can attest to your academic abilities. You could also speak with one of these people, especially your research PI, who should have some knowledge of your academic ability (I take it your in a graduate program?). Good luck!

You should use a really good personal reference and a good professional one (PI would be fine). If you have only shadowed the physician for a few months I would recommend going with someone who has known you for years over someone who may not know you as well.

I agree! You definitely want to go with people who know you well. I also agree that you should have one personal reference and one professional. Your personal reference could still be someone from a professional setting, as long as he/she is someone who knows you well and can comment on your character.

If you've worked or volunteered in a lab for a significant period of time and know your supervisor well, he/she would be a great option for your professional reference since they should also be able to comment on your academic abilities.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the advice! I probably should have mentioned that I've known both those references for ~3 years so I'm pretty confident that they both know me well enough to write a good reference letter. I'm relieved that academic letters aren't essential since I wasn't very close to any of my profs in undergrad. I emailed a similar question to the admissions office and they just pointed me towards the FAQ, so I'm glad I asked here as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you could help me out also....kind of in the same boat.

I have an academic reference; my prof who taught me most of my bio courses, but my second reference is one i'm unsure of. I'm a nurse so I don't know if I should use my preceptor as a reference (I've worked with her closely and still do and have known her for 2.5 years now) OR do I ask one of the physicians I work with (whom I've know for about 1.5 years) - I have worked with quite a few patients of his, but not as close as with my preceptor (as docs are always in and out of the unit pretty quickly).

Any advice?

thanks in advance!!

I think that a research PI can be invaluable in the sense that they can comment on both your work ethic as well as your academic strength.  This is, of course, more true if your research is in some way related to your academic discipline/major in ugrad.  In any event, they should be able to compare you to other students they've had in a similar position, and they can also talk about how you've absorbed and applied any background knowledge related to your lab work.  Finally, the committee can probably make a ballpark assessment of your academic abilities based on your transcript, and MCAT performance.

A personal reference of the type you've described is worth its weight in gold.  Think about of the inherent weakness of relying on the standard 'personal reference' letter writer; the admission committee is  put in the position of having to speculate on how your performance in a tangentially related field will apply to your aptitude to be a physician.  You have actually had the experience of patient care AND have a physician whose word can be taken at face value.  And by the sound of it, they think you're pretty good.  

By the sound of it, especially given Memorial's limit of two letters, I think you've got your bases covered here.

Archived